Currently reading:
Heating concrete screed

Discuss Heating concrete screed in the Canada Tile Advice area at TilersForums.com.

P

Perfect Tiling

Hi all. How long would you advise to heat up and cool down a 150mm (yes...150mm) concrete screed with piped water UFH. Floor has been down for months and I'm due to tile it starting on the 25th March (11 days time) and the plumber hasn't even bothered to put the boiler in yet. He reckons that it will be heated to max temp and cooled down again next week but I'm telling the customer that thats far too fast and the screed could crack. He also said to tile it and he would heat it up gradually over a longer period......no way. Tiles are 20mm limestone and have cost over £3k so customer wants a proper job as expected. Many thanks.

Ajax123

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Lincolnshire
Set flow temperature to 25degrees and leave for 3 days. Then increase by 5 degrees per day upto maximum temperature (typically 50 to 55 degrees) and leave at this for three days. Reduce by 5 degrees per day back to 25 and then switch off for 48 to 72 hours before testing moisture content and tiling.

Tis is different to the procedure outlined in bs1264 (the UFH) standard but if you follow that you will almost certainly crack

Reply to Heating concrete screed in the Canada Tile Advice area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

I have a customer who lives in a 200 year old property. The lounge floor he wants tiled which is very thick concrete. He wants electric underfloor heating but I'm concerned he'll lose too much...
Replies
Views
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement