Search the forum,

Discuss Hardibacker vs STS / Wedi tile backer board in the DIY Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

jleag

-
Reaction score
I have a fairly small bathroom 2m x 2.2m which will be tiled wall to floor all round. The straight bath will be fitted onto the 2m wall so I will need a tile backing board.

I will be going for porcelain tiles - not sure on the weight but size wise will be 600 x 300.

The bathroom is back to the bare brick on two sides and will be a stud wall on the other two sides.

So should I go with a wedi/sts type backer board which is totally waterproof or a cememnt based hardie backer board?

Which is a more watertight solution?

jdnest

-
Reaction score
Hi jleag

I'd go with Jacko/Wedi boards, properly secured to the wall.

No need to seal the edges as they are waterproof. Instead, tank the entire area with a tanking solution such as the Ardex WPC, a great product which you have to mix 2 parts and can tile after 90 minutes. Or Mapei Waterproofing kit if you want an easier solution as it's just paint on and go, but takes around 16 hours to cure.

Hope that helps.
J

Reaction score
If you’re going to tank it, may as well save your money and use plasterboard underneath the tanking.
Pointless fully tanking a waterproof board...

Reply to Hardibacker vs STS / Wedi tile backer board in the DIY Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Bathroom floor. I would be grateful for advice on how to prepare my bathroom sub floor ready for...
Replies
Views
  • Poll
Hi, I have a small en-suite 1200 x 2400, with a 1200 x 900mm linear drain tray which will have...
Replies
Views
10 Tiling Tips for Fixing Tiles to Bathroom Walls = From UKTilingForum.co.uk There are a few...
Replies
Views
I had a small leak in the main water line before the stop tap in my 1950s house. The copper pipe...
Replies
Views
Hi! I'm looking for some advice, I have laid some SLC (Mapei 1210) in our conservatory in...
Replies
Views

Advertisement

New Tiling Questions

Replies you've not seen