Currently reading:
Gggrrrrrr !!!!!

Discuss Gggrrrrrr !!!!! in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

AliGage

TF
Arms
Subscribed
Plumbing or Bathroom fitting is the easy part.

I'm the other way round with what i do, i'm a tiler that installs bathrooms and kitchens. I've learnt plumbing as an add on rather than the other way round and i solder my pipes. There's a lot of "plumbers" round here that use push fit.
Bottom line i'm too tight, it's far far cheaper to solder.

I understand the problem though, i noticed it a while back so i take along hardie leaflets, ardex, leaflets and all the info i can on the products i will be using and explain in detail why. It's baring on the lines of scare tactics. But, i know that because i'm a tiler first and foremost when i walk out of there no "plumber" is going to cover the same detail with the same knowledge.

Ending with the line "a new bathroom is not cheap to anyone, you don't want to do the job twice" usually leaves them enough food for thought that anyone who wanders in after me and doesn't cover the same topics etc doesn't stand a chance.

I guess what i'm saying it's not all down to price, people don't want to spend a lot, but they do however want a proper job done.

D

Diamond Pool Finishers

As someone that does not come across this problem myself, i would say tilers need to become more multi trade then to compete back at them, in the areas of the country this is prevalent in ,lots of punters believe that tiling is something you can do after looking it -up in a readers digest DIY manual ,its just the thought of getting adhesive on there hands and clothes that puts them off doing -it,so if peeps have a bit of spare cash then they get someone -in, but in times like these they DIY to save money ............ same for Plumbers if they think they can GET-AWAY with it then they will bodge-it ,if its a fancy job and they dont think they can blagg-it then they will try and knock a tiler down in price to do it ,then expect a top-of the range job lol............

AliGage

TF
Arms
Subscribed
I suppose in a way i force my tiling knowledge on my customer, and potentially, frighten them of the consequences if it's not done properly. If i don't get the work so be it, it's then on their conscience not mine. But, nothing will change unless will apply a little under-handed tactics i suppose. But, things won't change unless we provide the customer with the reasoning and part base knowledge of why there is a set way of doing things. It's then on their head (potentially their families actual head) if the tiles start falling off the wall's, lifting from the floors or the finish is not that of the "professional" finish they expect for their couple of quid.
I'd sooner turn work down than not do the job correctly and professionally.

C

CDS

I'm a Tiler by trade that qualified as a Plumber whilst learning the Tiling side. It's safe to say that i would trust most Tilers to do Plumbing on one of my jobs, but I wouldn't let a Plumber anywhere near the tiling!

How often am i called out to 'rectify the mess' left by a plumber / builder....got a call this morning, the builder finished an extention several months back and did the whole job from start to finish- Tiles now coming off walls and apparently you can play tiddly winks with the floor tiles!

There are too many 'trademen' out there that think tiling is easy, but have no idea what is actually required... and there are too many customers that want the quality without paying the professionals pricetag. Maybe customers will get wise eventually....

AliGage

TF
Arms
Subscribed
See when i started out i worked alongside my Dad (a plumber), his business partner (a tiler) and his two son's that are joiners. So i learn't many aspects of what i do by assisting professionals for a good few years.

In my earlier post when i say "frighten" i don't actually mean scare them. But, you have say a customer who wants a heavy stone on the wall and questions why you want to tear the knackered plasterboard down. When you start talking weight constraints.....i've had one or two customers turn very pale infront of me.

macten

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Nottingham
Same as AliGage and Everdon.
Tiler first and foremost but do full bathroom refits. I've followed many a plumber on a job where I am tiling only and can safely say I put them to shame.
Good plumbers need to know what the tiler needs if he's got half a chance of turning out a good job.
Oh and fitting a bath/tray solid and level, use jointing compound on compression fittings, leave space for a tile behind the taps, get pipe centres right, check their first fix is leak proof etc..., the list is endless

A

AMtek

I think the only people who make a living doing a single trade are people who have been doing it a long time and have a good reputation and a lot of happy customers feeding them reccomendation work. I started out tiling only but expanded into full bathroom and kitchen fits, i have a joiner, a bricky/ plasterer and a painter & decorator working for me and we have even taken on a landscaper to do everything garden related including fences so we can pretty much cover anything we get asked for, the diary is full untill the end of september and i am doing quotes daily. I am not someone who markets themselves as someone who can do everything and will give anything a go, i have employed people who know what they are doing withing their own trade and we have a growing list of happy customers by taking on the work we know we can do to a high standard.

Reply to Gggrrrrrr !!!!! in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Hi all! Just wondering what the best advice is for book-keeping? Been self employed now for a couple of years and the tiling business is going quite well but the book-keeper I was recommended...
Replies
Views
Good morning all. After a little advice. I'll post pictures a bit later. However.... The homeowner of the property I'm working on has just come to me and asked if anything can be done about...
Replies
Views
Hi! I'm looking for some advice, I have laid some SLC (Mapei 1210) in our conservatory in preparation for tiling. A couple of days after there's a lot of very fine cracks which have appeared, you...
Replies
Views
Hi all. Just wanting some advice and wondering what the pros in here are using nowadays for cutting large format porc? Ive been relatively lucky up until recently and been able to cut most of...
Replies
Views
Hi all. As title suggests. Used to use this forum a while back but seems my account was deleted (due to inactivity?)
Replies
Views
Posting a tiling question to the forum? Post in Tilers' Talk if you are unsure which forum to post in. We'll move it if there's a more suitable forum.

Advertisement

You're browsing the UK Tiling Forum category on TilersForums.com, the tile advice website no matter which country you reside.