Currently reading:
Genesis trade day at CTD

Search the forum,

Discuss Genesis trade day at CTD in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

T

The D

I was at a trade day at CTD yesterday morning and there was a rep from Genesis showing there new tiling tools and a new type of mat. The mat turned out to be there brand of plastic ply,:mad2:
I quizzed the poor chap for about half an hour on the ups and downs of this type of mat and finally forced him in to give me a demonstration,:oops: so we got some ply and primed it with PR360 then left it to dry. While the board was drying he showed me there new tile suction clamp, it is a pump operated one so you can do it with one hand, although I do not know why you would need to, anyway he popped it on a polished porcelain 600by600 tile and it was no bother so I said how about stone? he said no problem m8 it will do all stone, even up to 40mm thick 800 by 800. So I put it to the test and picked up a piece of polished marble and as before it was no bother, but I said I would not trust it on trav or stone that has an antique finish to it. At that he got a bit miffed and wanted to prove me wrong he put it on to a tile that had a slight antique finish and lifted it and with a smug look on his face he began to say what else do you want it to do? but before he could finish the tile dropped and smashed on the floor:yikes: and at the same time I dropped to the floor in a fit of laughter.:lol::lol::lol:

He then got out the next item that was a board with padding on it, It was there new kneeling pad so I said that is missing some wheels isn’t it m8 and he said we are looking at putting something like that on it. He was a bit upset when I got my trolley out the van.:smilewinkgrin:

We went back to the piece ply and stuck the matting down, we was insistent that it made the board as strong as 18mm ply but I could see no difference in the flexibility in the board with the plastic ply and the one without, also I could lift it back off the board with very little effort again he was not a happy bunny.:mad2: :lol:

C

Colour Republic

did it look like this Deano?

1009510.jpg

C

Colour Republic

To be fair the decent ones are around £80-90 but i'd expect it to come with a pressure dial for that sort of money. They are designed for the glazing industry and hold about 95kg each. Basically you need the pressure dial when carrying that sort of weight as if it's that heavy it's normally a bloody expensive piece of glass so you want an early warning system to tell you if it's about to fail.

So yes they can hold a heavy tile absolutely no problem but only if it's perfectly smooth. I'm pretty sure everyone knows how they work which is why i'm guessing you asked him to pick up stone with it as of course it was going to fail!! Salesmen reading the specs without understanding what they are trying to sell

Reply to Genesis trade day at CTD in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Hello there, Relatively recently we had a new en-suite fitted (complete rip out of the old fittings, and old wall tiles and floor carpet). This consisted of a quadrant shower enclosure, a...
Replies
Views
Posting a tiling question to the forum? Post in Tilers' Talk if you are unsure which forum to post in. We'll move it if there's a more suitable forum.

Advertisement

You're browsing the UK Tiling Forum category on TilersForums.com, the tile advice website no matter which country you reside.