Currently reading:
floor flex

Discuss floor flex in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

Q

quick draw macgraw

Hi All,

Any suggestions how to best support this floorboard where it meets the concrete as there is no joist at the point of meet and as i,m overlaying with 6mm backer still be too much flex.
Was thinking of wedging some 3x2 up to underside and screwing down.

cheers Steve.

Attachments

• Photo-0020.jpg
    71.2 KB · Views: 126
G

grumpygrouter

Hi grumpy do you mean pull the boards over and fix to concrete? If so i'll have big height difference which would give me personally a bigger headache than filling in with cement.

Cheers Steve.
No mate, I meant that if you lifted the boards you could then put a supporting piece of timber along the internal side of the concrete and then extend the boards across, level with the concrete surface and secure the ends of the board to the supporting timber. Sort of like putting an extra joist in but only screwed/plugged to the concrete, if you see what I mean.

Grumpy

Last edited by a moderator:
T

TheWrightTiler

only option id use would be to lift the boards
stick a baton against the concrete edge and screw it to the concrete using a glue to hold in place also

then re lay the boards and screw to the baton

again using expansion joint where the 2 substrates meet

filler foam is good and sets hard just be careful not to go daft as it does expand but can be cut with a chisel if it goes proud

andy

Q

quick draw macgraw

Bugger already cut boards and started to fill with trumix then was going to fill up and go over with sand cement mix. Saying that the concrete edge was all over the place. Will have to see how it sets.
In the other part of room there are vinyl tiles and stuck solid, cant get them up with my SDS either was wondering whether a clean and slurry coat over would be suffice. Here are some pics.

Thanks Steve.

Attachments

• Photo-0022.jpg
    57.7 KB · Views: 99
  • Photo-0024.jpg
    66.2 KB · Views: 95
  • Photo-0025.jpg
    53.3 KB · Views: 96
  • Photo-0026.jpg
    65.3 KB · Views: 90

Reply to floor flex in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Hi, Can't seem to find a solid answer as I realise so much depends on multiple factors. I'm planning to tile my kitchen floor with 8mm porcelain floor tiles (660x440mm). My kitchen floor is...
Replies
Views
Posting a tiling question to the forum? Post in Tilers' Talk if you are unsure which forum to post in. We'll move it if there's a more suitable forum.

Advertisement

You're browsing the UK Tiling Forum category on TilersForums.com, the tile advice website no matter which country you reside.