Search the forum,

Discuss Floor deflection videos... in the Canada Tile Advice area at TilersForums.com.

Z

zzr-matt

My bathroom floor is 12" x 2" joists on 400mm centres covering a 3.0m span. This is overlayed with 18mm chipboard screwed to the joists overlayed with 12mm ply screwed on a 5" grid. The ply had its edges and back face coated in SBR.

The tiles are 600 x 300 porcelain laid on a single part Granfix S2 rapid adhesive on a full bed and has been grouted with mapei ultracolor plus white grout about 2 days after the tiles were laid.

There are some small cracks appearing in the grout after a couple of weeks as can be seen in the photo below.

I have places a glass of water on this tile and jumped around the glass whilst taking a video of it, these are shown below.

Does this look like a subfloor deflection issue or is something else amiss?

grout_crack.jpg

[video=youtube_share;9p5ealPD2ug]http://youtu.be/9p5ealPD2ug[/video]

[video=youtube_share;Kadn3XuBB58]http://youtu.be/Kadn3XuBB58[/video]

Z

zzr-matt

Cheers! I was going for ultimate floor failure with the bunny hops!

It was at least 18hrs between laying and walking on, no rockers or hollow sounding tiles.

The ply was down for a number of months, i wonder if its moisture content is settling to a new level and its shrinking slightly.

Reckon its best to leave it for a couple of weeks and see if it gets worse? Or is it demolition sunday tomorrow?

D

DHTiling

loved that vid lol... mate it doesnt matter how long after grouting you sponge off.. Just dont put any pressure on the sponge at all when your doing it and you wont dig into the grout joint... But you do have to wait for the grout to start setting before you buff.

Sorry but that is so wrong advice.... Ultra colour is a fast setting grout , leave it too long and it cannot be tooled..

R

Rizzle from the Portizzle

looks like the grout joint is to wide to hold the thin grout bed you washed it down to thin leaving the tile edges prone to damage and probaly mixed the grout to dry need to rake out do again what sponge did you wash it off with a cheap sponge will pull out the grout .try washing off with an ardex sponge not wet just damp and do one sweep at a time cleaning spong after each sweep

Z

zzr-matt

looks like the grout joint is to wide to hold the thin grout bed you washed it down to thin leaving the tile edges prone to damage and probaly mixed the grout to dry need to rake out do again what sponge did you wash it off with a cheap sponge will pull out the grout .try washing off with an ardex sponge not wet just damp and do one sweep at a time cleaning spong after each sweep

It wasnt an expensive sponge. What should the ideal ideal grout line look like? Should it just be flat with the tiles or marginly concave but lapping up to the face of the tiles? Any close up example pics would be cool.

Houston

TF
Arms
If its not a deflection issue why would he have to use a flexible additive?

It could be a number of things as already stated...

the floor is not bouncing,are the tiles loose? i dont think they are. If there's been a failure with the grout onto the wooden substrates, the gt1 admix will solve the problem.

Reply to Floor deflection videos... in the Canada Tile Advice area at TilersForums.com

Make sure to mark a post as a solution for better transparency.

There are similar tiling threads here

• Question
Hi, I am planning on tiling my concrete garage floor with porcelain tiles. The concrete was laid down several years ago by a previous owner, and it looks like it was also polished and sealed -...
Replies
Views
Hello there, Relatively recently we had a new en-suite fitted (complete rip out of the old fittings, and old wall tiles and floor carpet). This consisted of a quadrant shower enclosure, a...
Replies
Views
Posting a tiling question to the forum? Post in Tilers' Talk if you are unsure which forum to post in. We'll move it if there's a more suitable forum.

Advertisement