Search the forum,

Discuss flexible tile adhesive- on new floor screed in the Canada Tile Advice area at TilersForums.com.

Z

zakrigby

hey there guys ...ive just lay a S&c screed on my kitchen floor its around 40-55mm thick ...i was going to wait around a month before tiling over it to allow for proper drying ....but a few tilers i have phoned said they can tile straight over using flexible tile adhesive ....and assured me this will still allow the screed shrinkage and drying time ... how good is this flexible adhesive in an ideal world id love to be able to lay the tiles straight away .... but at the end of the day i still have my concerns over this flexible stuff ... and slightly more inclined to wait for it to dry before tiling.. the last thing i want to so is damage my screed ...

O

Old Mod

[MENTION=12267]Ajax123[/MENTION] I could be wrong, and I'm sure I'll be put right if I'm not. But the way I understand it using a decoupling device allows u to lay tiles when the moisture in the screed is at 4% or less, 2% for calcium. Normally 2% and 0.5% respectively. The decoupling actually slows the drying and improves the chances of the screed staying stable and not curling or cracking.

Ajax123

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Lincolnshire
@Ajax123 I could be wrong, and I'm sure I'll be put right if I'm not. But the way I understand it using a decoupling device allows u to lay tiles when the moisture in the screed is at 4% or less, 2% for calcium. Normally 2% and 0.5% respectively. The decoupling actually slows the drying and improves the chances of the screed staying stable and not curling or cracking.

Sort of yes. The issue here though is that the screed should be cured immediately following installation by covering with polythene for a minimum of 7days. This keeps the moisture in the screed and allows the cement to fully hydrate building up the screeds internal strength so that as shrinkage occurs (which is a natural function of cement based screeds) the stresses imparted by said shrinkage are balanced by the integral strength of the screed. All this relies on correct design, full compaction and correct reinforcement. Unfortunately in general the thinner the screed is the more propensity it has for curling, which is also natural, and which leads to vertical movement and possible deflection cracks. Unfortunately an uncoupling membrane will not offer any protection against vertical movement so in this instance I suspect it is not an appropriate mechanism to use. If the screed was cured (or the uncoupling mat placed very early) then it may be more appropriate. Anhydrite screeds do not curl and do not appreciably shrink so it could possibly be used as a moisture suppressant. In either case on relatively wet screeds the joints in the matting must be taped to avoid damp patches in the tiles.

Z

zakrigby

1mm per day up to 40mm and 2 days per mm there over is the drying time. You have also laid the screed too thin. Should be a minimum of 50mm unbonded and 65mm floating. It should also be reinforced with either fibres or with d49 mesh.

yeah its bonded and reinforced with fibers its mostly 50mm just a small part where it needed to lay a little thin to level out.... its only a small kitchen with the units agains the 4 walls i was going to tile the whole floor then fit the units i thought id get the neater finish like this no awkward cuts round cupboards..or would i be best of not tiling rite to the back in case it curls a little on the thin part ..it will be hidden by units anway

Ajax123

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Lincolnshire
yeah its bonded and reinforced with fibers its mostly 50mm just a small part where it needed to lay a little thin to level out.... its only a small kitchen with the units agains the 4 walls i was going to tile the whole floor then fit the units i thought id get the neater finish like this no awkward cuts round cupboards..or would i be best of not tiling rite to the back in case it curls a little on the thin part ..it will be hidden by units anway

When you say it is bonded, was the substrate abraded or shotblsted to form a mechanical key. I am being a little pedantic I realise so this is more in the manner of information rather than criticism. To be considered bonded it must be laid to a mechanically prepared substrate. If it is just laid on a concrete substrate it would be considered unbonded by the British Standards. If it is bonded that wlll limit the level of curling that can take place (bonded cement based screeds can be laid much thinner because of this). You also need to be aware of the potential mositure content in the substrate.

I think this is probably a case for ditra matting but will leave that up to you.

And tile up to the edges under the units as you then have the flexibility in the future to move stuff around if you want to

Z

zakrigby

When you say it is bonded, was the substrate abraded or shotblsted to form a mechanical key. I am being a little pedantic I realise so this is more in the manner of information rather than criticism. To be considered bonded it must be laid to a mechanically prepared substrate. If it is just laid on a concrete substrate it would be considered unbonded by the British Standards. If it is bonded that wlll limit the level of curling that can take place (bonded cement based screeds can be laid much thinner because of this). You also need to be aware of the potential mositure content in the substrate.

I think this is probably a case for ditra matting but will leave that up to you.

And tile up to the edges under the units as you then have the flexibility in the future to move stuff around if you want to

no its not bonded no mechanical key :( ....... the only thing that was done was a hand key (chisel and hammer (inch spaced give or take ) and a cement slurry brushed on.... just read a topic on them mats will definitely be using them thanks for the heads up mate ;)

Reply to flexible tile adhesive- on new floor screed in the Canada Tile Advice area at TilersForums.com

Make sure to mark a post as a solution for better transparency.

There are similar tiling threads here

• Question
I had a small leak in the main water line before the stop tap in my 1950s house. The copper pipe had worn away over the past 70 years, causing a small crack in the copper. A plumber/builder fixed...
Replies
Views
  • Question
Hi, I am planning on tiling my concrete garage floor with porcelain tiles. The concrete was laid down several years ago by a previous owner, and it looks like it was also polished and sealed -...
Replies
Views
  • Question
Hi, Can't seem to find a solid answer as I realise so much depends on multiple factors. I'm planning to tile my kitchen floor with 8mm porcelain floor tiles (660x440mm). My kitchen floor is...
Replies
Views
Further to my other post re our hollow tiles issue It looks like our tiler has dot and dabbed most of our floor to accommodate tiling 800x800 porcelain over an uneven floor. The gap from defrac...
Replies
Views
  • Question
Hi all, I've laid some Arditex NA over the kitchen floor area (not under cabinets. The area is 4.5m x 1.8m. The top third of the room is totally level. The remainder of the room has a slope...
Replies
Views
Posting a tiling question to the forum? Post in Tilers' Talk if you are unsure which forum to post in. We'll move it if there's a more suitable forum.

Advertisement