Currently reading:
fixing large heavy tiles on wall

Search the forum,

Discuss fixing large heavy tiles on wall in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

aflemi

TF
Arms
i have a feature wall to do in an en-suite using these tiles
broken link removed

They are 800 sq, 15mm deep and weigh 40kg psm. The wall was skim plastered on breeze block, I have battened it with 40mm timber at 300 intervals using rawlplugs and will board with 12.5 mm marmox, which will be as flat as possible. Manufacturer only specifies cementitious adhesive, ntg more specific, I was planning to use mapei Adesilex P9 which is non rapidset to give me time for adjustments. Any advice on adhesive and tile cutter I should be hiring?

Last edited by a moderator:

aflemi

TF
Arms
If your putting onto battens and building the wall up theres alot of weight on it..
well the idea is the battens ( more like studwork actually) are fixed hard to the wall then marmox screwed into them. Load bearing up to 62 kg psm so will be ok. I was looking for non slump adhesive, Mapei say P9 is 'High strength, polymer modified adhesive for installing ceramic and porcelain tiles and mosaics, no vertical slip. For interior and exterior applications on conventional wall and floor substrates.' which seems to cover it.

aflemi

TF
Arms
Those bad boys look like loads of fun :lol:

I'd probably consider something like Ardex X77 - not the cheapest but it'll keep 'em where you put 'em.

As for a cutter, I'd use my D24000, but if your hiring then I would ask the hire centre what they can supply and make a judgement as to whether the cutter will cope.

Daz
Cheers, don't really use ardex, would it be better for this than the Adesilex P9? Noted re table saw

Reply to fixing large heavy tiles on wall in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Hi, long time lurker, first time poster. Over the years I've used the good advice that I've read on this forum but with my current project I am a bit stumped. I am renovating an ensuite, it's...
Replies
Views
Hello, I'm just a home owner who doesn't have much experience with tiling but I'm looking for advice on fixing a few problems that a professional left me with. He of course has not responded to...
Replies
Views
Hi, I'm new to the forum and fairly new to tiling, my only previous "proper" job was my recent bathroom (600x600 porcelain, about 25m walls and floors) which went pretty well. I'm now having a go...
Replies
Views
Posting a tiling question to the forum? Post in Tilers' Talk if you are unsure which forum to post in. We'll move it if there's a more suitable forum.

Advertisement

You're browsing the UK Tiling Forum category on TilersForums.com, the tile advice website no matter which country you reside.