Search the forum,

Discuss First tiling job after my course with UKPTT in the Tiling Courses area at TilersForums.com.

James De

TF
Esteemed
London
Hi guys,

I'm currently on my first job after finishing the 9 day course with UK Pro Tiling Training, which I must add was absolutely brilliant!!!

So after removing the 7m2 area of mosaic tiles the plaster behind the tiles just crumbled off the wall due to previous leaks.

2 - https://ibb.co/kmLu5K
[picture of wall/plaster]

2.jpg

I'm thinking of dot n dabbing some Knauff Aquaboard to the brick walls. Can anyone tell me if there is a better idea?

I'm only boarding the area where I'm tiling (on both walls the bath/shower is against). Thing is, the good plaster which I'm leaving on the walls is an inch thick - hence the dot n dab so the boards meet the good plaster flush.

Many thanks
James

Last edited by a moderator:

James De

TF
Esteemed
London
The plaster is lime mortar which has been reskimmed at some point, I'd be using the likes of Marmox type boards and screwed using the special washers.
Whitebeam, I can’t seem to find a stockist of marmox anywhere and I need them for tomorrow, I’ve tried travis Perkins and jewsons which are listed as stockists on the marmox site and nothing. Do you know where I can pick some up from?
***EDIT***
There’s a place called SIG in Ruislip that sells it I think, I’ll try them. But if you do know of a major chain that sells them that’d be great!

Last edited:
O

Old Mod

Do you have a Ctd near by?
They sell the wedi/marmox type boards.
Anything like Jackoboard, Dukkaboard.
It’s all the same stuff.
It’s a foam board with a cement type covering back and front.
Cement boards like ‘Hardie’ and ‘no more ply’ still need tanking in wet areas.
The wedi style boards only need tanking on the joints and over mechanical fixings (screw and washers)
Topps sell wedi now, but I’ve no idea on their prices.
Just make sure you get the washers, it’ll stop screws pulling through.
Even B&Q sell this type of board now, not sure if it’s order only tho.

James De

TF
Esteemed
London
Tilemaster.

Or Mapei as that’s the most widely available kit on the market. I prefer Tilemaster though.

Remember, when dot and dabbing a whole wall, you need to dot a continuous rim across the top of the board.
Cheers Walugi, yeah I’ll prob do more around all sides and then dot n dab the centre pieces.

James De

TF
Esteemed
London
Just order this. £54 delivered to your door.

Tilemaster Tanking Kit Waterproofing Tub - https://www.*******************/product/tilemaster-tanking-kit-waterproofing-tub

Or the Ardex. Both are very good kits. Slightly different concept with the Ardex
Just went to CTD and opened a trade account and got the Ardex kit with some cement/foam boards with the washers. I’ll tank the joins, silicone the bath to the boards and then tile (do the cement/foam boards need to be primed? I can’t remember and my course notes are at home - I’m sure I prime everything regardless, right? SBR of course ).

Cranbrook

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Just went to CTD and opened a trade account and got the Ardex kit with some cement/foam boards with the washers. I’ll tank the joins, silicone the bath to the boards and then tile (do the cement/foam boards need to be primed? I can’t remember and my course notes are at home - I’m sure I prime everything regardless, right? SBR of course ).
No need to prime the cement boards

Reply to First tiling job after my course with UKPTT in the Tiling Courses area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Hello, I'm just a home owner who doesn't have much experience with tiling but I'm looking for advice on fixing a few problems that a professional left me with. He of course has not responded to...
Replies
Views
https://www.tilersforums.com/threads/shower-bath-tiling-preparation-plaster-and-wooden-windowsill.83462/#gsc.tab=0 There was some heated argument in the above thread! I don't have much...
Replies
Views
Posting a tiling question to the forum? Post in Tilers' Talk if you are unsure which forum to post in. We'll move it if there's a more suitable forum.

Advertisement