Currently reading:
fire damage restoration

Discuss fire damage restoration in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

D

Daveyboy

I've got a client who has had a fire in their kitchen which has caused damage to the floor and wall tile grout. The damage is effectively stained grout. The insurers sent in the cleaners who have got it to the state shown in the photos but can't do any more. The insurers have said the client needs to get estimates to have the tiles re-grouted and won't pay to have the tiles replaced.

The floor tiles (laid in the 70s) look like terracotta and the grout looks like cement, the lines are approx 10mm +-. The wall tile grout could also be cement because it doesn't have the texture of wall grout.

The floor tile area is approx 40m2 and the walls approx 7m2.

Removing the grout will take days and countless fern blades. Is there any other solution such as using a cement or grout stain remover that won't damage the tile surface?

Attachments

• floor1.jpg
    169.6 KB · Views: 37
  • wall 1.jpg
    185.7 KB · Views: 30
D

Daveyboy

went to quote an almost identical job a couple of years ago but bottled it, thought it was a bit more than I dare take on

I know what you mean but if the insurers want to pay the price, I don't mind taking it on...if I have to remove the grout, it won't be cheap..at £60 a blade from tradetiler and going through approx 10 blades on that size floor, plus the cleaning of the tiles, then the regrouting and then the resealing, it would be just as cheap and probably quicker to rip it all out and retile! I might suggest Whitebeams solution and recommend a test be carried out...

Reply to fire damage restoration in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Water Damaged Shower Repairs Shower tile repair – water damage – tile waterproofing Do you have shower leakage that goes downstairs leading to either your main floor or basement? Read this blog...
Replies
Views
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

You're browsing the UK Tiling Forum category on TilersForums.com, the tile advice website no matter which country you reside.