Currently reading:
Filler/adhesive for plasterboard holes and when to tank

Discuss Filler/adhesive for plasterboard holes and when to tank in the DIY Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

UK
I have some damaged plasterboard in a bathroom that needs repairing prior to being tiled. I have decided not to replace the plasterboard (due to the wall being Paramount partition board) and I don't plan to overboard it either (due to the bathroom being very tight on space). Photos are attached of the wall - the max depth of any damage is 10mm. None of the holes go all the way through to the cardboard innards of the wall.

I don't know whether I should use a filler like gyproc easi fill to fill the holes in the plasterboard, or a cement based tile adhesive instead. From my research it seems that tile adhesive might be the better option (is it?), but I also plan to tank the shower area and I am confused about what order the tasks should be done in.

If I were to be use normal filler, it seems simple - I would fill the holes first, then prime, tank, tile. But if it is better to use tile adhesive then it seems to get complicated. For example:
  1. Prime (I understand this would now have to happen first, as adhesive can't be applied straight to plasterboard)
  2. Fill holes with tile adhesive (is this the correct next step? I presume I need to make a relatively flat surface before tanking?)
  3. Tank (Can I apply the tanking solution directly over the tile adhesive, or do the patched over areas need to be primed again?)
  4. Tile (Tasks 1, 2 & 3 will take me a weekend to complete. I would then not have time to actually tile until the following weekend. Will it be a problem to have primed this far in advance?)
Below are the products I have purchased so far, although they could be returned if I've made any bad mistakes!
The tiles are 8mm porcelain tiles 600x300mm, weighing 19kg per sq m excluding adhesive, grout etc.

Thank you in advance for any advice you can offer! :)

Screenshot 2021-03-30 at 18.13.23.png

Reply to Filler/adhesive for plasterboard holes and when to tank in the DIY Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

https://www.tilersforums.com/threads/shower-bath-tiling-preparation-plaster-and-wooden-windowsill.83462/#gsc.tab=0 There was some heated argument in the above thread! I don't have much...
Replies
Views
Water Damaged Shower Repairs Shower tile repair – water damage – tile waterproofing Do you have shower leakage that goes downstairs leading to either your main floor or basement? Read this blog...
Replies
Views

Advertisement