Search the forum,

Discuss Faultyblunt wheel on Rubi TX-1200? in the Canada Tile Advice area at TilersForums.com.

Cheshire
Hi All, hope you're all busy and well. Quick query: setting a floor with Porcelanosa 660 x 440 10mm thick and using the TX-1200 for cuts. Scoring fine, but tile is breaking off in a curve rather than along the line (almost an S shape). Happened to three tiles now, have scored deeper but no joy . Used for walls and fine (ceramic though) and no problems in the past. Can use angle grinder for now but just thought I'd ask if there's a specific wheel to fit this cutter that you would recommend before I splash out?

T

Tile Shop

I'd try with the 8mm. That's the one Rubi recommend for porcelain. But if it is going off in a curve, it could be slightly overfired, in which case you would have little success with anything other than electric.

As a guide, the optimal wheels for Rubi cutters are:
6mm = glazed ceramic wall tiles
8mm = all glazed and unglazed porcelain and dust pressed clay quarry (victorian style)
10mm = glazed ceramic floor tiles
18mm = rustic unglazed clay (extruded quarry tiles)

Cheshire
I'd try with the 8mm. That's the one Rubi recommend for porcelain. But if it is going off in a curve, it could be slightly overfired, in which case you would have little success with anything other than electric.

As a guide, the optimal wheels for Rubi cutters are:
6mm = glazed ceramic wall tiles
8mm = all glazed and unglazed porcelain and dust pressed clay quarry (victorian style)
10mm = glazed ceramic floor tiles
18mm = rustic unglazed clay (extruded quarry tiles)
Cheers Paul, much appreciated

Andy Allen

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Gloucester
Truth is more and more porcelain is being over fired and is impossible to break cleanly.
I'm at the stage where I insist on test cutting before agreeing a price on larger jobs.
Totally agree with you...
Maybe we should all go a strike till the supplier's get there act together....;)

I'll get the ball rolling on Friday...:rolleyes:

S

Spare Tool

Had this recently with some tensioned 800's, had 12 on site, needed 12 and it was the last 12 tiles in the country, put a new 8mm wheel in the Tx, cut a small strip off your waste edge, doesn't matter if that breaks off line but it will release some of the tension in the tile then go for your measured cut, it helped a lot I found..

Reply to Faultyblunt wheel on Rubi TX-1200? in the Canada Tile Advice area at TilersForums.com

Posting a tiling question to the forum? Post in Tilers' Talk if you are unsure which forum to post in. We'll move it if there's a more suitable forum.

Advertisement

Birthdays