Search the forum,

Discuss Doorway tiling in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

D

Dairbhre

Hi folks,

I'm looking for advice as I'm fairly new to tiling. I've done a couple of jobs in bathrooms, kitchens and hallways so far, but now I have ben asked to do a door way step. It is a recessed doorway and measures approx 2.25 sq yrds. The customer is planning on some of these terracotta (quarry??) tiles.
My question is what type of adhesive and grout is recommended for this outdoor area and also do I need to seal the tiles before grouting? Will the grout mark the tiles? I have read somewhere about a "grout bag"?
I have local suppliers for Bal, Dunlop, Evostick, Unibond and Larsen so if any specific products can be identified for me I would be extremely gratetful.

/Seamus

D

DHTiling

seen as you can get bal products use bal pourable thick bed adhesive well suited for quarrys outside and use super flex wide joint floor grout. quarrys can be sealed after grouting but make sure tiles are clean . HG do an impregntor for quarrys...

T

tony TLC

like dave i am a big fan of pourable adhs if the tiles a terros seal them before and after grouting quarries no need to seal before grout

D

Dairbhre

Thanks guys,
I believe the customer has picked quarry tiles, can I cut these just like a normal ceramic tile on my Rubi TS60+ ?? I haven't dealt with anything other than ceramic and porcelain tiles as yet.

D

DHTiling

you will be able to cut on your rubi but use a 10mm wheel and when breaking pull handle quickly , any small cuts will probaly have to be done on wet cutter, depends on what thickness the qaurrys are.........

G

GazTech

seen as you can get bal products use bal pourable thick bed adhesive well suited for quarrys outside and use super flex wide joint floor grout. quarrys can be sealed after grouting but make sure tiles are clean . HG do an impregntor for quarrys...
Maybe PTB is not a good recommend for someone new to the game,BAL rapid set or gold cem is much more controlled.
icon14.gif

Reply to Doorway tiling in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

I had a small leak in the main water line before the stop tap in my 1950s house. The copper pipe...
Replies
Views
Hi! I'm looking for some advice, I have laid some SLC (Mapei 1210) in our conservatory in...
Replies
Views
Good morning all. After a little advice. I'll post pictures a bit later. However.... The...
Replies
Views
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

New Tiling Questions

Replies you've not seen