Currently reading:
do i need to tank or will tiles be ok in my wetroom?

Discuss do i need to tank or will tiles be ok in my wetroom? in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

M

Mike Mike

It isn't for "peace of mind". If you have a wetroom then you absolutely, categorically, it isn't open for debat MUST tank it. You MUST.

Grout is NOT waterproof. Water DOES pass into and through grout. Depending on what tiles you plan to use they may be porous (most natural stone, porcelain albeit much less than stone, but more so than glazed ceramic).

Tank the entire floor, and tank the walls in the wet zone 1 (the shower area + 1 metre either side, and if the shower is on an outside wall then tank that whole wall).

Gypsum plaster is water sensitive. WHEN (not if) water penetrates the grout the plaster will get wet and over time start to crumble.

I thought from Jan 2012 the EU harmonised bathroom regulations under ETAG 022? Does this not apply in the U.K.????

Tank it. Tank it now. Or I'm calling the tanking Police, and you, your plumber and your builder will all end up on Crimewatch :lol:

M

Mike Mike

Swedish mike you have me in switches with some of your comments sometimes I only go into threads to see what you've wrote haha..... Oh yer tank it defo mate:thumbsup:

I can't take full credit for all my posts Tobins Tiling. At least 50% of the credit must go to the imagination expanding effects of the Pißwasser* that I am drinking :lol::8:
* The letter ß is pronounced "ss"

A

andypippa10

The screed hasn't gone down yet as the rooms run level with a utility and kitchen, so just got to find kitchen tiles and will then all go down together. Just thought I could get the stuff I need ready so it can be done once the screed is dry and there seem to be lots on the market but wanted to make sure it was compatible with UFH and concrete as most wet floors seem to be upstairs on timbers.

Reply to do i need to tank or will tiles be ok in my wetroom? in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Water Damaged Shower Repairs Shower tile repair – water damage – tile waterproofing Do you have shower leakage that goes downstairs leading to either your main floor or basement? Read this blog...
Replies
Views
Hi, I'm new to the forum and fairly new to tiling, my only previous "proper" job was my recent bathroom (600x600 porcelain, about 25m walls and floors) which went pretty well. I'm now having a go...
Replies
Views
Posting a tiling question to the forum? Post in Tilers' Talk if you are unsure which forum to post in. We'll move it if there's a more suitable forum.

Advertisement

You're browsing the UK Tiling Forum category on TilersForums.com, the tile advice website no matter which country you reside.