Search the forum,

Discuss DIY Tiler - 90 sq m of large format porcelaine tiling making me nervous! in the DIY Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

P

PJPro

pj do you have a wet cutter
No. But I do have a couple of grinders.

I was thinking that maybe the plasplugs master tiler might be alright for the odd cut here and there but I was concerned that it would take to long to cut every tile with a wet saw. The dry cutter seems a much faster option....as long as I can get the tile to break where it should without chipping.

Last edited by a moderator:

kilty55

TF
Arms
Reaction score
No. But I do have a couple of grinders.

I was thinking that maybe the plasplugs master tiler might be alright for the odd cut here and there but I was concerned that it would take to long to cut every tile with a wet saw. The dry cutter seems a much faster option....as long as I can get the tile to break where it should without chipping.

yes use dry cutter for straight cuts

but you need a wet cutter or a grinder with a tile cutting blade in it for angled cuts

P

PJPro

yes use dry cutter for straight cuts

but you need a wet cutter or a grinder with a tile cutting blade in it for angled cuts
OK. Thanks. Am I better off with a cheap (ish) saw or just get a blade for the grinder?

kilty55

TF
Arms
Reaction score
i think you should get a wet saw pj,you may need to upgrade the blade also as a lot of the saws come with basic blades

P

PJPro

You say the floor 'will be' is the chip board down yet ?
Nope. But it's been bought and is on site. The Project Manager says the chipboard / hardybacker combo is the approach they usually use for their jobs.

P

PJPro

i think you should get a wet saw pj,you may need to upgrade the blade also as a lot of the saws come with basic blades
Could you recommend a cheap(ish) wet saw and suitable replacement blade. As I mentioned earlier, the plasplugs seems a popular choice.

Last edited by a moderator:
G

guil.rocha

grinder all the way. Bosh makes good blades but make sure to go for the solid disc instead of the the ones that have splits in them.

G

Gazzer

Plasplugs is great if you can get one. tradetiler sell the Vitrex version. Marcrist wheels are a good replacement too.

Alan.P

TF
Reaction score
Nope. But it's been bought and is on site. The Project Manager says the chipboard / hardybacker combo is the approach they usually use for their jobs.

long winded expensive way to go in my humble opinion, better off with 18 - 25mm wpb, and tile to this, with suitable preparation.

Reply to DIY Tiler - 90 sq m of large format porcelaine tiling making me nervous! in the DIY Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Bathroom floor. I would be grateful for advice on how to prepare my bathroom sub floor ready for...
Replies
Views
I had a small leak in the main water line before the stop tap in my 1950s house. The copper pipe...
Replies
Views
Good morning all. After a little advice. I'll post pictures a bit later. However.... The...
Replies
Views
Hi! I'm looking for some advice, I have laid some SLC (Mapei 1210) in our conservatory in...
Replies
Views
Hi all. Just wanting some advice and wondering what the pros in here are using nowadays for...
Replies
Views

Advertisement

New Tiling Questions

Replies you've not seen