Currently reading:
Cutting round Toilets and Sinks

Discuss Cutting round Toilets and Sinks in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

W

Woody123

If you cant remove it then get a paper cut out the exact same size of the tile then offer it up to the toilet and have the paper so its folded upwards against the toilet get your pencil and run it along the profile of the toilet and then just cut out the shape. You will now have a template of the size that your tile should be so its a perfect fit to hug the toilet. Put the template on the tile and mark the tile appropriatley.
Wallah!!
Ive probably made that sound way more complicated than it actually is!:lol:

D

Dave Carr

Get yourself some 2.5mm2 power cable and cut a length off the same size as your tiles. Then take off the grey sheath by pulling the bare copper earth and you're left with two conductors.

These conductors make excellent shape tracers. Simply take the conductor and place one end on the last time you laid and then simply bend the conductor around the shape you need to cut. then remove and place on to the tile to be cut, mark and hey presto!

And the conductor is reusable, just try and remove the kinks before reusing.

Cheers,

Dave

D

Deleted member 1779

*personal view*

Always better to remove the fittings.

44.JPG

Above left the bath is removed (or not installed) just the waste trap poking out.

The loo has been dry fitted. Will be removed until grouting is done.

chris.tiling

TF
Arms
Poole
I use some solder wire as a profile, then place that onto a cardboard template (cut to the same size as the tile). when you have cut out the template, offer it up to the pedestal / WC and check for fit. Then when happy with the result, put it on your tile, mark and cut...Bob is then most certainly your uncle.

D

Danny@ Diamond

Hi all i use my stop bar from my Rubi cutter but a cut off of trim would do the same job.

I start by dry laying the tiles around sink and toilet , i then flip the tile and offer it against the object allowing me to get a mark on the tile as a starting point. I then hold my pencil on the mark and holding the bar against it paralell to the tile and the end touching the toilet or sink i run it around the object keeping it straight at all times.

Works perfect everytime and saves loads of time cutting templates. Takes a bit of time to perfect but once you get the hang of it its brilliant:thumbsup: :thumbsup:

C

CON5933

I must admit I just take em out and re fit later... but, if i come up against something i can't remove i use the paper method. ..

This works tho.,,,,, dry lay all your 'complete' tiles upto the pan, pedastal, door frame, bath, dog etc:) now, imagine your'e in front of the wc, ... place the tiles to be cut on top of the tiles around the wc . Now , think of a 'school compass' you know the one with a pencil in the end, get the largest one you can find or make one with some dowelling and a wing nut & bolt and a china marker.
Transfer the measurement of the tile (150x150) etc so the end of the compass is 150mm away from the marker...place the non marking end against the wc and the marker on the tile...make sure you keep it straight to the tile..scribe away & cut them off....

R

rob

More times than not the customer will not want the hastle of taking the toilet out to tile under. Next time you pull some lino up from a job, keep some for making templates for cutting around such things. As suggested above, cut the lino to the same size as tile and then shape the lino to the curve. I lay all the tiles arround the area (except the ones that require cutting) then the lino will fit exactley where the tile should once done.
Hope this helps, works very well :yes:

Reply to Cutting round Toilets and Sinks in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Water Damaged Shower Repairs Shower tile repair – water damage – tile waterproofing Do you have shower leakage that goes downstairs leading to either your main floor or basement? Read this blog...
Replies
Views
Posting a tiling question to the forum? Post in Tilers' Talk if you are unsure which forum to post in. We'll move it if there's a more suitable forum.

Advertisement

You're browsing the UK Tiling Forum category on TilersForums.com, the tile advice website no matter which country you reside.