Currently reading:
Cutting Porcel-Thin with 3 Different cutters

Discuss Cutting Porcel-Thin with 3 Different cutters in the Australia Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

W

White Room

Had 2 blades delivered from ATS and tried them out on Porcel-Thin as my Montolit Pro-Gres seemed chip more than it should, centre picture shows the Pro-gres disc, this was a quick test. The blades used for 2 cuts, the one on the left was dry the cut on the right hand side was with a damp sponge.

Porcel-Thin  Cutting 001.jpg Porcel-Thin  Cutting 002.jpg Porcel-Thin  Cutting 003.jpg Porcel-Thin  Cutting 004.jpg The pictures correspond to the first pic of which blade was used for each cut from left to right.

I know where I'll be going for discs to cut the porcel-thin from now on, ATS.

From the first pic blades were as follows from left to right

Vacuum Brazed Blade ATS
Montolit Pro-Gres
Porcelain Continuous Diamond Blade ATS

C

Concrete guy

Thanks for posting this Mark.

I'm really surprised how little chipping there is from the Vacuum Brazed blade. We usually sell this to masons for delicate marbles as it cuts without much breakout (or boat yards for cutting fibreglass), but I'd never thought of running it in Porcelain. What was the speed like? I can imagine it would be slower than a traditional metal bond.

The con rim blade we now stock from 110mm right up to 300mm it really is proving to be a versatile product.

I sent one to Derek from Sigma this week. He has a customer with a 3000mm x 1000mm porcelain tile which is a sandwich construction. 3mm porcelain, 1mm fibreglass, 3mm porcelain. They can't seem to find anything to cut it so they're giving one of these blades a shot.

I told him to try the wet sponge trick that Gary has been demonstrating.

W

White Room

Thanks for posting this Mark.

I'm really surprised how little chipping there is from the Vacuum Brazed blade. We usually sell this to masons for delicate marbles as it cuts without much breakout (or boat yards for cutting fibreglass), but I'd never thought of running it in Porcelain. What was the speed like? I can imagine it would be slower than a traditional metal bond.

The con rim blade we now stock from 110mm right up to 300mm it really is proving to be a versatile product.

I sent one to Derek from Sigma this week. He has a customer with a 3000mm x 1000mm porcelain tile which is a sandwich construction. 3mm porcelain, 1mm fibreglass, 3mm porcelain. They can't seem to find anything to cut it so they're giving one of these blades a shot.

I told him to try the wet sponge trick that Gary has been demonstrating.

The grinder I used was a Bocsh with 11000 rpm with all the blades, to be honest the vacuum brazed caught me by surprise as well...and cuts really fast.

I did'nt think there was alot between the the 2 blades I used of yours Allen, both great cutters and will be using them in future with any Porcel-Thin.:thumbsup:

C

Concrete guy

The grinder I used was a Bocsh with 11000 rpm with all the blades, to be honest the vacuum brazed caught me by surprise as well...and cuts really fast.

I did'nt think there was alot between the the 2 blades I used of yours Allen, both great cutters and will be using them in future with any Porcel-Thin.:thumbsup:

There's a price differential. The VB Blade really will cut pretty much anything, it's a great product to have in your toolbox to solve problems. I imagine porcelain would shorten it's life though. Unlike the con rim blade which would wear gradually, the VB blade would simply stop cutting after a certain amount of use.

T

TheNamek

I know this is an old thread but I thought of this whenI made some cuts on thin porcelain (although not Porcel-Thin specifically) today. Was expecting it to chip badly but was pleasantly surprised. Cut on Rubi DU200L-BL with ATS continuous porcelain blade. Went real slow (you gotta do most things real slow with this machine :sweatsmile:) - about 5mm/s.
full

full

Tiles are now a discontinued line at B&Q -not my first choice but where else can you get thin porcelain on a Saturday afternoon?!

Reply to Cutting Porcel-Thin with 3 Different cutters in the Australia Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

Posting a tiling question to the forum? Post in Tilers' Talk if you are unsure which forum to post in. We'll move it if there's a more suitable forum.
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement