Tile Forum | America Tile Forum

Welcome to America Tile Forum, the USA Tile Industry. The Tile Association of America.

Discuss Cutting Large 1.8x0.2m Tiles? in the Canada Tile Advice area at TilersForums. The USA and UK Tiling Forum (Also now Aus, Canada, ROI, and more)

M

Matthew77

Hi all

I'm just about to start a floor tiling job with some wooden plank effect porcelain tiles at a whopping 1.8m long and 200mm wide and as its over several (5)rooms ( around 70m2 total) I'm going to have to cut into doorways and slithers along the entire length of these tiles.
Although I've been tiling now for nearly 10 years I've never fixed tiles of this size before (I think the biggest porcelain I've done is probably 0.9m long) there is no way these tiles will cut on my big dewalt table saw or on any of my big Rubi dry cutters! So my only thoughts are to use an angle grinder with a monolit Evo2 porcelain blade for all these cuts! Just wondering if anyone else has had any experience with these sorts of porcelain tiles regarding cutting or if there are any better options than an angle grinder to cut these?
Thanks in advance
Matt

U

Unused Account 1

You need two to lay them ,and if you have to relift to add or take adhesive away,lol

O

Old Mod

Hey Matthew,
Sounds like a nice job!
Depends if u have any kind of budget for new cutting equipment.
If not, a grinder and good blade will work, I'd use a sponge on the blade at same time tho, 1800 is a long way and I'm sure u know, it'll heat up very quickly.
If u have some money to invest in new cutting gear, there are several options out there for sub £400.

R

robbieraven

Hopefully if the skirting has been removed you'll have margin for loose cuts on the edges which will go under the skirts. I'd use a table saw and as above a good mate to help you guide them through. Good luck.

M

Matthew77

You need two to lay them ,and if you have to relift to add or take adhesive away,lol

I'm not so worried about laying them tbh I often do stone floors on my own for local quarries that have slabs at upto that length, 0.6m wide and 22mm thick! So I know exactly what you mean ;)

Hey Matthew,
Sounds like a nice job!
Depends if u have any kind of budget for new cutting equipment.
If not, a grinder and good blade will work, I'd use a sponge on the blade at same time tho, 1800 is a long way and I'm sure u know, it'll heat up very quickly.
If u have some money to invest in new cutting gear, there are several options out there for sub £400.

Yeah it should be a real nice job. I'll try the sponge method, I do have a water pump from a diamond hole drilling kit so I might try and rig that up, thanks for the idea. I figured that monolit evo2 blade might be the best blade for this what are your opinions on that?
Would be interested in what other options are about to as anything to make my life easier at work is always welcome even if it does involve buying a new cutter...Tiles seem to be getting bigger by the day now too, those 600x600's we all thought were big a few years back now seem to be the norm.

Hopefully if the skirting has been removed you'll have margin for loose cuts on the edges which will go under the skirts. I'd use a table saw and as above a good mate to help you guide them through. Good luck.
Yep all skirting has been removed to allow for movement, so there is also room for if the edges are chipped etc they will be hidden under the skirting. Unfortunately I have no one to help me as I work on my own and don't know anyone who can help at the moment.

Thank you all for the advise

Any other advice regarding cutting would be welcome

I

Italy

with 70 square meters, a few cuts to make, I think it is ok evo2.
attention to the narrow cuts

M

Matthew77

with 70 square meters, a few cuts to make, I think it is ok evo2.
attention to the narrow cuts
I agree there's not masses of cuts but as its the whole ground floor of a house it's divided into 5 rooms so a few fiddly bits around doorways etc.
On the upside once I've cut one tile that will cover almost the whole length of some of the rooms
Think I might invest in a new angle grinder and dust extraction.

I

Italy

I agree there's not masses of cuts but as its the whole ground floor of a house it's divided into 5 rooms so a few fiddly bits around doorways etc.
On the upside once I've cut one tile that will cover almost the whole length of some of the rooms
Think I might invest in a new angle grinder and dust extraction.
grinder with vacuum cleaners ....
I have bosch with vacuum cleaner, but it is a problem to cut 180cm.
here on TF some tiler bought festool. (can not remember name)
try to feel. @3_fall (perhaps he remembered)
I use, Raimondi cut free, but if tile is not good .... (problems)

O

Old Mod

Yeah it should be a real nice job. I'll try the sponge method, I do have a water pump from a diamond hole drilling kit so I might try and rig that up, thanks for the idea. I figured that monolit evo2 blade might be the best blade for this what are your opinions on that?
Would be interested in what other options are about to as anything to make my life easier at work is always welcome even if it does involve buying a new cutter...Tiles seem to be getting bigger by the day now too, those 600x600's we all thought were big a few years back now seem to be the norm.

One machine I have for such pieces is the Rubi TC180, it's effectively a skill saw that runs on rails.
It can be used wet or dry, with the dry cutting, decent dust extraction is a must and the blade must be at full depth for the shroud to provide adequate dust collection.
Using it wet is good, but as you attach a live water feed by way of a hose, it's messy.
I usually form a large flat funnel on the floor with a tarp and direct the water to a drain if possible. I've even attached the back of the tarp to the water inlet so that there's no back spray, very effective actually.
The one big draw back is that it does not mitre!
The rails used to be very expensive, not sure how much they are now, but it will run on a Festool guide! The 1400mm guide is around £60.00
Rubi's used to be a fortune.
The Rubi quick clamps work on the Festool too!
There are other manufacturers who make similar machines, I think makita and I definately know Flex do.
Flex mitre's as does the makita (it's makita or Bosch, can't remember)
I like it because it's compact and can deal with any size tile.
I also own a Montolit Flashline, which is a slide cutter originally marketed at TPT (thin porcelain) however they cut up to 12mm thick (yet to test that)
Anyway the Flashline is sectional and comes in 3 pieces of 1200mm so potentially u can cut up to 3.6m in one go.
All of these machines come in at around £400 or less
The Flex however,does not!
As far as blade for a grinder, not used the one u've mentioned, but I've tried the pro Gres with great success and they now do a DNA for a grinder.
I'd imagine with the monty blades we're now spoilt for choice! :)
Hope this helps.

I

Italy

One machine I have for such pieces is the Rubi TC180, it's effectively a skill saw that runs on rails.
It can be used wet or dry, with the dry cutting, decent dust extraction is a must and the blade must be at full depth for the shroud to provide adequate dust collection.
Using it wet is good, but as you attach a live water feed by way of a hose, it's messy.
I usually form a large flat funnel on the floor with a tarp and direct the water to a drain if possible. I've even attached the back of the tarp to the water inlet so that there's no back spray, very effective actually.
The rails used to be very expensive, not sure how much they are now, but it will run on a Festool guide! The 1400mm guide is around £60.00
There are other manufacturers who make similar machines, I think makita and I definately know Flex do.
I also own a Montolit Flashline, which is a slide cutter originally marketed at TPT (thin porcelain) however they cut up to 12mm thick (yet to test that)
Anyway the Flashline is sectional and comes in 3 pieces of 1200mm so potentially u can cut up to 3.6m in one go.
As far as blade for a grinder, not used the one u've mentioned, but I've tried the pro Gres with great success and they now do a DNA for a grinder.
Hope this helps.
bravo marc,
Pro gres is more evo2. it's the same :)
disco-diamantato-gres-posrcellanato-diamond-blades-gres-porcelain-383x330.gif

J

Just Rizzle

Hope this helps.
as above theres really no point in expanding futher 3 falls got it spot on

Reply to Cutting Large 1.8x0.2m Tiles? in the Canada Tile Advice area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

Please note that this thread is old so replying to it may not get a response. You'd be best posting a new thread with a good 4 or 5 word title.
This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.
Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lowpaul22
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks