Search the forum,

Discuss Cutting Large 1.8x0.2m Tiles? in the Canada Tile Advice area at TilersForums.com.

O

Old Mod

Haha I did not realise! Haha
others-233.gif

J

Just Rizzle

One machine I have for such pieces is the Rubi TC180, it's effectively a skill saw that runs on rails.
It can be used wet or dry, with the dry cutting, decent dust extraction is a must and the blade must be at full depth for the shroud to provide adequate dust collection.
Using it wet is good, but as you attach a live water feed by way of a hose, it's messy.
I usually form a large flat funnel on the floor with a tarp and direct the water to a drain if possible. I've even attached the back of the tarp to the water inlet so that there's no back spray, very effective actually.
The one big draw back is that it does not mitre!
The rails used to be very expensive, not sure how much they are now, but it will run on a Festool guide! The 1400mm guide is around £60.00
Rubi's used to be a fortune.
The Rubi quick clamps work on the Festool too!
There are other manufacturers who make similar machines, I think makita and I definately know Flex do.
Flex mitre's as does the makita (it's makita or Bosch, can't remember)
I like it because it's compact and can deal with any size tile.
I also own a Montolit Flashline, which is a slide cutter originally marketed at TPT (thin porcelain) however they cut up to 12mm thick (yet to test that)
Anyway the Flashline is sectional and comes in 3 pieces of 1200mm so potentially u can cut up to 3.6m in one go.
All of these machines come in at around £400 or less
The Flex however,does not!
As far as blade for a grinder, not used the one u've mentioned, but I've tried the pro Gres with great success and they now do a DNA for a grinder.
I'd imagine with the monty blades we're now spoilt for choice! :)
Hope this helps.
as above theres really no point in expanding futher 3 falls got it spot on

M

Matthew77

Thanks guys that's really helpful especially all the options you've given 3 fall . The monty evo2 turned up today so will see how I get on with that and an angle grinder tomorrow. I did look into the festool but it seemed like not many places stock them in the uk. The rubi looks like a big old chunk too.
Have these rail tools now become your go to cutters for tile cutting now? They look like they could replace my dewalt 2400 on a lot of jobs if I bought one as they seem much more compact. I'm gonna have to have a bit of asteroids look into these when I get some time.

How do you guys rate the festool and Rubi rail cutters?

L

LM

One machine I have for such pieces is the Rubi TC180, it's effectively a skill saw that runs on rails.
It can be used wet or dry, with the dry cutting, decent dust extraction is a must and the blade must be at full depth for the shroud to provide adequate dust collection.
Using it wet is good, but as you attach a live water feed by way of a hose, it's messy.
I usually form a large flat funnel on the floor with a tarp and direct the water to a drain if possible. I've even attached the back of the tarp to the water inlet so that there's no back spray, very effective actually.
The one big draw back is that it does not mitre!
The rails used to be very expensive, not sure how much they are now, but it will run on a Festool guide! The 1400mm guide is around £60.00
Rubi's used to be a fortune.
The Rubi quick clamps work on the Festool too!
There are other manufacturers who make similar machines, I think makita and I definately know Flex do.
Flex mitre's as does the makita (it's makita or Bosch, can't remember)
I like it because it's compact and can deal with any size tile.
I also own a Montolit Flashline, which is a slide cutter originally marketed at TPT (thin porcelain) however they cut up to 12mm thick (yet to test that)
Anyway the Flashline is sectional and comes in 3 pieces of 1200mm so potentially u can cut up to 3.6m in one go.
All of these machines come in at around £400 or less
The Flex however,does not!
As far as blade for a grinder, not used the one u've mentioned, but I've tried the pro Gres with great success and they now do a DNA for a grinder.
I'd imagine with the monty blades we're now spoilt for choice! :)
Hope this helps.
Have any of you guys tried a L15ST blade from Diatech in Scotland, super thin and perfect for porcelain, I don't think I've had better blades and that includes the above mentioned. 4 of them and a Makita grinder for about £115 + vat

Reply to Cutting Large 1.8x0.2m Tiles? in the Canada Tile Advice area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Currently using TX700N but obviously now too small for the 1200x600mm I'm increasingly being...
Replies
Views
Hi, I'm new to the forum and fairly new to tiling, my only previous "proper" job was my recent...
Replies
Views
Hi, Can't seem to find a solid answer as I realise so much depends on multiple factors. I'm...
Replies
Views
Posting a tiling question to the forum? Post in Tilers' Talk if you are unsure which forum to post in. We'll move it if there's a more suitable forum.
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

New Tiling Questions

Replies you've not seen