Search the forum,

Discuss Cracking of cut tiles in the Canada Tile Advice area at TilersForums.com.

Reaction score
30mm! That’s a huge amount, were the levels incorrect?
Do you know what type of matting, what colour was it?
Do you have any left over bags of anything at all?
Were they installed using a frame?
[automerge]1574197686[/automerge]
Sorry, seems you’ve just answered some questions.
Here is a photo off the manufacturer web site of how the cut tile should look when cut. A smooth clean curve which has been cut with a diamond cutter which looks about a 50mm in diameter on the photo (I am awaiting confirmation off the manufacturer) I’ve got a jagged cut that doesn’t line up with the straight cuts. I know the fitters used a 6mm still bit. Also they installed stress pads on the back of the cut tiles and painted what I believe was fibreglass on the back. This along with the grout to the external is what is causing the cut tiles to split ?
All other full tiles and grout lines are not showing any cracking or movement whatsoever. Thoughts please? (Compare the manufacturer cut photo compared to what I have had installed on my original post).

Attachments

• F0DE4D83-2973-4CAF-97BB-F7D0D1A54C9F.jpeg
    207.5 KB · Views: 76
  • 12B56BD0-2DAB-4FAC-9646-E17744521027.jpeg
    123.9 KB · Views: 66
O

Old Mod

The idea of drilling the corner is only to form an arc, I’ve never found size of the arc to be a factor.
mots more difficult for a crack to start within an arc than it is a 90° corner.
were skirtings fitted on top?
Did you remove the silicone on the external corner?
Do you have any idea on the adhesive used?
Were the slabs ‘clipped’ down with a levelling system?
Was a lifting frame used during installation?
Has the ufh been turned back on again?
How long after installation were you told to wait, if it is?

D

Dumbo

Even if it was done well and I appreciate you don't like it cracked but I don't think you would of like the aesthetics of a 30 mm hole on that corner . I understand what you say about misalignment of the hole but you still have a radius on the corner .

O

Old Mod

I don't think you would of like the aesthetics of a 30 mm hole on that corner .
What I’ll do Jerry is undercut the bottom of the wall, so effectively the corner of the slab slides in the wall, that way the cut edges will go close to the wall.

D

Dumbo

What I’ll do Jerry is undercut the bottom of the wall, so effectively the corner of the slab slides in the wall, that way the cut edges will go close to the wall.
See you would do that, my method is to have a hissy fit, tell them I am an artist and can't work if it hasn't been prepped properly and then storm out

D

Dumbo

See you would do that, my method is to have a hissy fit, tell them I am an artist and can't work if it hasn't been prepped properly and then storm out
So after that , today I had a door lining out and under cut the plaster board to make a cut

Reply to Cracking of cut tiles in the Canada Tile Advice area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Hi all. Just wanting some advice and wondering what the pros in here are using nowadays for...
Replies
Views
Hello, I'm just a home owner who doesn't have much experience with tiling but I'm looking for...
Replies
Views
I had a small leak in the main water line before the stop tap in my 1950s house. The copper pipe...
Replies
Views
Hello there, Relatively recently we had a new en-suite fitted (complete rip out of the old...
Replies
Views
Hi, I'm new to the forum and fairly new to tiling, my only previous "proper" job was my recent...
Replies
Views
Posting a tiling question to the forum? Post in Tilers' Talk if you are unsure which forum to post in. We'll move it if there's a more suitable forum.
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

New Tiling Questions

Replies you've not seen