Search the forum,

Discuss cracked tile over under floor heating in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

S

silver

If the tiles have gone down directly onto the cable element (if its electric) .....:incazzato:

If the element / floor was screeded over before tiling....you have a fighting chance....steady away.......

If its a water system - solid floor there should be quite a significant screed over the pipework (min 80mm >100mm I think - .....though I stand to be corrected)....so this wont be too bad.

But first off you need to find out what is lay on .....why its cracked....is it the only one ?.....is there loose / missing grout from adjacent tiles indicating quite a bit of floor movement ?
IMO its not that easy to crack a porc tile once down if all is well.

Degs

Ajax123

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Lincolnshire
If the tiles have gone down directly onto the cable element (if its electric) .....:incazzato:

If the element / floor was screeded over before tiling....you have a fighting chance....steady away.......

If its a water system - solid floor there should be quite a significant screed over the pipework (min 80mm >100mm I think - .....though I stand to be corrected)....so this wont be too bad.

But first off you need to find out what is lay on .....why its cracked....is it the only one ?.....is there loose / missing grout from adjacent tiles indicating quite a bit of floor movement ?
IMO its not that easy to crack a porc tile once down if all is well.

Degs

Wet systems with sand cement - Nominal design 75mm screed but normally need minimum 50mm cover.

Wet systems with calcium sulphate screed - Nominal design normally 50m but need minimum 25mm cover to meet British Standard. Most manufacturers say 30mm cover to ensure a comfort zone.

:thumbsup:

T

thevinnyofoz

He said some bloke was doing a job at his house and used the bathroom floor as a base for some DIY activity involving a hammer ! This is how the tile cracked.

He doen´t know the brand of ufh but says the wire was the taped down type and not the mesh type. The floor was ply board and was solid before tiling was started.

I´m thinking that the electric needs turning off and the grout will be scraped out very carefully from all four sides, then the tile will need to be popped up from one side and removed ? Just wondering how much hassel it will be removing the old adhesive from the floor without damaging the wire ?

Reply to cracked tile over under floor heating in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

I had a small leak in the main water line before the stop tap in my 1950s house. The copper pipe...
Replies
Views
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

Replies you've not seen

You're browsing the UK Tiling Forum category on TilersForums.com, the tile advice website no matter which country you reside.