Search the forum,

Discuss Concrete board (eg NMP) or foam board (eg Marmox) in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

A

aviator99_uk

Hi Guys,
I'm not a tiler so don't get me wrong, I'm a retired chippy doing a self-build. I have done bathrooms for myself in the past and used green board for ceiling, concrete board (NMP) on stud walls covered in Homelux, and concrete board over chipboard covered in Ditra for floor. That worked well for me and is well in my comfort zone. Right now I'm looking at a ground floor bathroom which is just a beam & block floor 2 external stud walls and .... er that's all. FFL is 75 mm over the beam and block floor. I want to do a walk in shower and fit all the usual kit, and finish it using Travertine (60 by 40) walls & floor.

Looking at the products available now it does seem that there are alternative ways of doing things, like rather than building up the floor to the right height and laying concrete board to work off I could use a Marmox type board (PCS do a 60mm tick one which is the kind of height I need) which after waterprofing the joints gives me a waterproof tileable surface dimensionally stable which means I can probably forget the Ditra?

But is it a robust enough surface to work off??? To do the ceiling, concrete board on walls, first fix, homelux (now seems to be Dura-wp) etc before tiling the floor. Obviously that is how I've done things before and working off the concrete board is no problem, just clean and prime and its ready for heating mat etc or Ditra onwards.

Seeing some posts I get the feeling that it isn't a robust surface, in which case do you protect by plonking ply down as a temp surface to work off or what?

Al

PS the 2 existing stud walls are 600 pitch, and it would be a pain putting more studs in to make it 300 pitch because all the insulation (celotex) would have to come out etc, so unless I'm reading things wrong its unlikely that I could use a Marmox type foam board on the walls.

Reply to Concrete board (eg NMP) or foam board (eg Marmox) in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

I had a small leak in the main water line before the stop tap in my 1950s house. The copper pipe...
Replies
Views
Hi! I'm looking for some advice, I have laid some SLC (Mapei 1210) in our conservatory in...
Replies
Views
Good morning all. After a little advice. I'll post pictures a bit later. However.... The...
Replies
Views

Advertisement

New Tiling Questions

Replies you've not seen