Currently reading:
Cheap power tool for grout removal

Discuss Cheap power tool for grout removal in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

S

Stealth

Hi

I need to remove the grout from my bathroom. To remove it with a traditional grout rake will take me forever -it is fully tiled floor to ceiling plus the floor needs doing too, and it’s not the smallest of bathrooms.

I’ve seen the fein multimaster, and although the tool looks perfect for removing grout, I’m not prepared to shell out this sort of money for what is going to be a one-off job for me.

So I’m looking for a cheap power tool that won’t cost me an arm and a leg. I’m not bothered about the brand, only the price, and provided it does this one job I couldn’t care less if it was only fit for the bin afterwards. The cheaper the better. The only proviso is that the replacement saws/cutters are readily available and reasonably priced. It doesn’t have to be a multi tool either – I’m not planning to use it for anything other than removing grout.

I live in a medium sized town so shouldn’t have a problem sourcing a product.

Any thoughts and ideas appreciated.

I've used a Dremel with the grout removal guide and the Rotozip. Both are a little dusty, easy to use but burn the bits out like nobodys business. The Rotozip is great for floors with the 3mm bit and you can hook your Henry up to it. the Dremel is spot in for cutting grout out of wall tiles before removing a damaged tile (or even a few) but NEITHER are a cheap option for clearing out a lot of grout because of the cost of the bits and boy do they burn out fast.

If you need to do a big area or a lot use the 2mm blade on your grinder and be prepared to cough up a lot of dust even with a mask on. Nasty job. Last resort.

K

karlm98

if you go with the marcrist blade you may want to rent a shop vac(wet dry vac?) and use two hands the hold both the grinder and the hose also wear a dust mask and eye protection, i would look at the worx multitool it is a lot cheaper than a fein and unless you are regularly re grouting the worx will be money well spent as they can cut sand and do a lot of other stuiff. forget the little grout saws your arm will thank you for that!

I use a dremel, as said in previous post the bits do burn out if not treated well. A good method i found was to use the dremel to go down the grout line quickly and then use a grout rake after. The dremel sort of loosens the grout before you rake it so it doesnt kill you raking out all day. I also find with re grouting that sometimes the grout just falls out and other times it can be really hard, thats when the bits burn out on the dremel.

Dan

Admin
Staff member
Staffordshire, UK
Just bumping some of the tiling tools related threads. This thread might not be current discussion, if it isn't, just ignore this, and it'll soon drop off the list. Don't worry if you bring it back into current discussion yourself though, the content within it could be useful for somebody. So feel free to add to it if you have something valuable to add.

Reply to Cheap power tool for grout removal in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

Posting a tiling question to the forum? Post in Tilers' Talk if you are unsure which forum to post in. We'll move it if there's a more suitable forum.

Advertisement

You're browsing the UK Tiling Forum category on TilersForums.com, the tile advice website no matter which country you reside.