Currently reading:
Changes to Driving Test as of 4 October 2010..

Discuss Changes to Driving Test as of 4 October 2010.. in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

U

user123

I don't know the test in Germany now, but when I did mine, you had to have a minimum of 24 lessons, plus two hours night diving, two hours inner city/town driving, two hours motorway driving and got told what to do if you miss an exit etc, and we had a very strict theory test we had to pass before we could even attempt the practical, and we had to attend a vehicle breakdown + simple servicing course, where we learned how to change a tyre, check the oil and top it up, the water, the windscreen wash, how to fill up with petrol, how to drive if the clutch cable broke, how to drive on ice or in bad visibility conditions, stuff like that! It was scary but good, and a lot less scary once out on your own. I helped a woman change a flat tyre a few years back, I saw she was stuck and worried, alone on a layby, not easy,and I blessed that course, how many people, men or women, can change a tire these days?

U

user123

I can G

and ive changed a head gasket in a layby in somerset. 2 hr delay to our journey, those were the days when you could strip a ford crossflow with a pair of pliers and an adjustable spanner LOL

that test reminds me of the old bike test wherre you were sent off on your own and he jumped in front of you for the emergency stop

Yes, Mike, but you're old like me, :lol: was more talking about young people now taking a test....

Dan

Admin
Staff member
Staffordshire, UK
I can change a tyre but not a head gasket lol. I think it's iceland is it that has the most strict driving test. They start learning at 14 I think whilst at school still, and learn how to powerslide to control the cars in icey conditions. As a result of their years of lessons they have some of the best rally drivers about. I might be wrong on the country?

D

Deleted member 9966

I don't know the test in Germany now, but when I did mine, you had to have a minimum of 24 lessons, plus two hours night diving, two hours inner city/town driving, two hours motorway driving and got told what to do if you miss an exit etc, and we had a very strict theory test we had to pass before we could even attempt the practical, and we had to attend a vehicle breakdown + simple servicing course, where we learned how to change a tyre, check the oil and top it up, the water, the windscreen wash, how to fill up with petrol, how to drive if the clutch cable broke, how to drive on ice or in bad visibility conditions, stuff like that! It was scary but good, and a lot less scary once out on your own. I helped a woman change a flat tyre a few years back, I saw she was stuck and worried, alone on a layby, not easy,and I blessed that course, how many people, men or women, can change a tire these days?

now that's how every driving learning and test should be. we don't get taught nearly enough of that in the UK. some of it's covered by the theory test but not most of the practical stuff like changing tyres.

on my first car, if i wanted to fill it up with petrol, i had to kick the petrol cap before it would unlock. they didn't teach me that on my driving test :lol: but in all seriousness, in the UK you're licenced to drive unsupervised, not licenced to drive the way you want. after our recent coldest winter in years, maybe they should consider incorporating some learning to drive in very difficult conditions like snow. too many people on our estate thought that gunning the engine and accelerating flat out would get them up the bank to their houses. no, you need first gear and gentle acceleration until the car reaches the point where it's driving itself. all you have to do is steer :mad2:

U

user123

I think they should teach you the differences between front wheel, rear wheel, and all wheel drive. Things like climbing a hill with snow on as you say Liz, is totally different for each type of drive.

Oh yeah, and that was the other funny thing, I actually had half my driving lessons on snow, it was January, and I had to do hillstart on ice! Really steep hill, too, dead confident on snow and ice now though. Here they don't drive when there's an inch of snow, really funny :lol: But we do have the winter tyres bla bla, and no, nobody is surprised when it snows in winter, it's kind of a usual story? How else would you get to your skiing resorts..:lol:

D

DHTiling

Was this compulsory to Dive at night.. did they supply the wet suit..:lol:

Reply to Changes to Driving Test as of 4 October 2010.. in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Hello there, Relatively recently we had a new en-suite fitted (complete rip out of the old fittings, and old wall tiles and floor carpet). This consisted of a quadrant shower enclosure, a...
Replies
Views
Posting a tiling question to the forum? Post in Tilers' Talk if you are unsure which forum to post in. We'll move it if there's a more suitable forum.

Advertisement

You're browsing the UK Tiling Forum category on TilersForums.com, the tile advice website no matter which country you reside.