Currently reading:
buff yellow floor brick pamments , buried under latex screed for 30 years.

Discuss buff yellow floor brick pamments , buried under latex screed for 30 years. in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

A

a bottle of gin

hi guys. ive found my original kitchen floor in my cottage. it was buried under a latex floor screed for 30 odd years. it is made from yellow floor brick pamments (or it could just be yellow bricks).
anyhow , they look like they have been sealed over their life time and have dulled down to a gray colour , this could also be because of the screed that was poured over the top of them. in fact , thinking about it its most likely the screed that has stained them.
the pic shows the floor brick and a clean pamment beside it to give you a rough idea of what they should look like.
any ideas on how to clean these is most welcome , ive tried scrubbing them with a metal pan scrubber with no joy.

Attachments

• P220210_19.21.jpg
    78.2 KB · Views: 45
A

a bottle of gin

thank you , very kind of you to offer fella , they are all up in suffolk apart from this one but its now clean, .
i did read that acetone removed old sealant so , being bored i decided that as acetone is an ingredient in toilet cleaner and as tescos are doing a 3 for a quid deal on harpic i decided to try some.
i soaked the brick in water then left the harpic on there for around an hour. a scrub with a pan cleaner and hey presto , the gray gunk , whatever it was came off. not without a fight but it did shift eventually.

what do you think guys? will sealant remover work if harpic toilet limescale remover worked?

Attachments

• P240210_19.25.jpg
    90.9 KB · Views: 19

Reply to buff yellow floor brick pamments , buried under latex screed for 30 years. in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

Posting a tiling question to the forum? Post in Tilers' Talk if you are unsure which forum to post in. We'll move it if there's a more suitable forum.

Advertisement

You're browsing the UK Tiling Forum category on TilersForums.com, the tile advice website no matter which country you reside.