Search the forum,

Discuss Biscem Adhesive in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

J

Jeffrey4670

Hi, I have been using Biscem Waterproof adhesive for wall tiles, for quite soom time now and was wondering what the forum had to say about it. Is thare any thing better? I can buy a 15ltr tub for around 11.63 inc VAT. Thanks, Jeff

D

DHTiling

white star is the top of the range in wall adhesives and can be bought for a similar price...

H

Home Tiler

I've just got introduced to biscem tubbed adhesives...10ltr 8.47 inc vat

(alot cheaper than bal "grip" addy at 16 quid...)

has anyone had any bad experiences with this adhesive??

D

DHTiling

Most brands of acrylic wall adhesive is good stuff steve... its just when you get used to certain brands it hard to change... i've used bal for some years now and i like to use what i know is good stuff....but everybody has there favourites

H

Home Tiler

getting to the stage where i'm shopping around now Dave

must admit i'm using bal grip stuff at the mo find it easy to spread ....but i reckon once i start mixing my own ...i'm bound to start saving quite alot on tub adhesives ...just concerned about the setting times after you mixed your own...knowing my luck and speed the tub will be bleeding solid after fixing 10 tiles....lol

"I hate being a newbie..lol"

D

DHTiling

if you want to use bagged stuff steve the you wont go wrong with bal spf or ardex x7w both slow setting and both have a long pot life......

Dan

Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
Generally i'd say there's an adhesive for each type of application and you'd always choose the cheapest best option for the job if there was a few options. So you should be using a mix really of dispersion and cement based adhesives for your jobs.

I don't think it's a case of 'i'm new so i'll stick to tubs for the moment'.

Get yourself a bag and get mixing in your garden to have a toy around with it. You can get yourself some topsfix for like £8 is it? (not bought any for years lol).

I've used a fair few types of adhesive overall though and I do find the BAL range the most trusted in the industry but not always the best priced. Mapei is a big big name in Europe it's just BAL have the largest market share in the UK. Mapei is trusted more arond Europ though. I think.

And there's an adhesive company that's part of the Saint Gobain group of companies which is one of if not THE largest privately owned companies in the world. A list of their companies can be fond on their site but i'm fooked if I can find which adhesive company it is.

[DLMURL="http://www.saint-gobain.com/en/html/index.asp"]SAINT-GOBAIN Group corporate website.[/DLMURL]http://www.saint-gobain.com

One would assume that they have much bigger investments in the design of the adhesives than most of the other adhesive companies in the world let alone the UK. So it's one to trust when we can find which company it is.
----
My laptop seems to be missing random keys again lol grrrrr
----
Here - Weber it is -

weber building solutions, building solutions for facades, tiling and construction
Saint-Gobain

Last edited:
H

Home Tiler

I will have a go next time i go to the supplier...another quick question Dan and DH

obviousley i don't want to mix the adhesive to runny but do you really have to stick to what ratio the mixture has to be or could you get away with adding a little more water??

D

DHTiling

the amount of water recommended on the bag is ratioed to the time that they say it will set in but adding a little extra just increases the setting time...

Reply to Biscem Adhesive in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Hi all! Just wondering what the best advice is for book-keeping? Been self employed now for a...
Replies
Views
Hi all. Just wanting some advice and wondering what the pros in here are using nowadays for...
Replies
Views
I had a small leak in the main water line before the stop tap in my 1950s house. The copper pipe...
Replies
Views
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

New Tiling Questions

Replies you've not seen