Currently reading:
Bisazza supplied epoxy - are you using it/

Discuss Bisazza supplied epoxy - are you using it/ in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

C

CBTC

How are all the pros finding the use of the Bisazza epoxy, which now comes along with at least some of the mosaics they supply?
I have had homeowners calling me out the blue after coming up against flat no's from the tile installer - they are seeking advice and information on why its a problem for the pro tiler. interested in your comments. Naturally its an extra on the cost of the install.

Colin

M

MICK the Tiler

The grout you mention as an epoxy is no different to others i have used, the reason us pros hate using it is that once mixed the powder and liquid the actual grout has no real body to it it just feels like nothing theres no resistence when installing also the gear you use is hard to clean afterwards and special gear needs to be allowed for sponges, buckets etc because you'll have to throw them away. You cannot muck about with this stuff you need to mix small batches and get it into the joints fast then leave long enough so it just starts to harden then wipe off quick and use plenty of clean water and sponges to make the job ultra clean If you leave the grout joint low by wiping to much out you'll have to apply more to fill the joint. Leaving any excess will almost be impossible to remove once set. You should also charge extra for epoxy grout work. :mad2: :mad2: :mad2:

S

sWe

Make sure to wear a proper facemask, proper gloves, and disposable clothes when mucking about with epoxy. That fumes from hardening epoxy can harm yer lungs and nervous system. If you get it on yer regular clothes it won't come off, and if yer real unlucky, it can self ignite as it cures. I wear disposable overalls when I use epoxy materials. They only cost about a fiver each, so no big expense really.

When I quote on epoxy jobs, I charge separatly for filters for my facemask, gloves, and overalls. If the customer has any questions regarding those I just inform that the regulations state you need to wear protection when using epoxy, and that's usually the end of that.

C

CBTC

I find it a slightly better mix than some and the chemical supplied does break the excess down so it does all move through the sponge stages more easily than epoxys of the past. I tried it with a normal grout float first as well as the epoxy float to see its workability - not all will get on the move with the normal one.
Just referring back to my 1st post here the tilers are saying to the clients flat no, not just renogatiating the extra cost - just not willing. As it gathers momentum of this being supplied are there going to be increasing disputes at the tileface?? The tiler - client epoxy stand-off :furious3: :annoyed:
Colin

D

davy_G

I found it OK to use as well but is no way comparable to cement based because it takes so much more time. If I wasnt told at the outset it was an epoxy job i wouldnt be too pleased to price it, put it in the diary as a 4 day job, then turn up and be told its epoxy grout and it needs 5 days and all the ballache of different mixers floats etc.
These mosaics need the coloured epoxy so if they dont want to use it then dont let them fix the mosaics! I take it they are not Bisazza fixers? Sounds like a complete lack of communication & understanding.

Reply to Bisazza supplied epoxy - are you using it/ in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

You're browsing the UK Tiling Forum category on TilersForums.com, the tile advice website no matter which country you reside.