Search the forum,

Discuss Beginner's tips/errors and how to fix them... in the DIY Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

K

KateJ

Hello
I'm making some beginner's mistakes and also need advice please....

I've tiled the shower but the tiles fitted perfectly at the bottom of the corner - and didn't at the top so I have a 1cm gap. Shoud I try to cut a thin strip of tile and wedge it in with lots of adhesive or keep grouting until the grout fills it? I have limited tiles so didn't want to cut them as you should do.

The purple wall - really hard to get paint off - can I tile over it?

The floor with drainage pipe - I amitco'd the floor and tiled down to the pipe - is there a nifty way of boxing it in and sealing it?

The front of the shower - the shower is raised to allow drainage. Problem is - the support is flush ot the front. How do I cover it? I thought a steel door kickplate might work....

Really appreciate any advice. xx

IMG_7793.PNG IMG_7794.PNG IMG_7795.PNG IMG_7796.PNG IMG_7797.PNG IMG_7798.PNG IMG_7799.PNG

Last edited by a moderator:
T

Time's Ran Out

I've just read through this and it's quite interesting.
1st of all I find it pleasing that you've enjoyed the experience of tiling and as it's in the DIY section there should be no excuses for members not providing information to help you. Just because you haven't followed everyone's advice is not the end of the world and for those who feel snubbed - if you don't have anything positive to say, say nowt!
These are cheap thin white tiles and for the first 15 years from sand and cement fixing in the early '70s tubbed adhesive was the professionals choice. It's now aimed at the DIY market ( although even today I saw 4 tubs going into a Tilers van) and since they advise maximum tiles of 30x30cm yours are within limits. The substrate (tanking) will mean the air has to get through the joints to fully cure the adhesive so leave as long as possible before grouting.
Again, thanks for posting and I'am sure your efforts will help others in this section to understand the amount of work it takes in even a small area.
Keep posting and enjoy!

Dan

Admin
Staff member
Staffordshire, UK

Reply to Beginner's tips/errors and how to fix them... in the DIY Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

Make sure to mark a post as a solution for better transparency.

There are similar tiling threads here

• Question
Hello, after watching so many instructional videos and planing, I just can't understand how to tile a simple drywall construction in our bathroom. I got some good advice here so I hope you guys...
Replies
Views
Hello, I'm just a home owner who doesn't have much experience with tiling but I'm looking for advice on fixing a few problems that a professional left me with. He of course has not responded to...
Replies
Views
Posting a tiling question to the forum? Post in Tilers' Talk if you are unsure which forum to post in. We'll move it if there's a more suitable forum.

Advertisement