Search the forum,

Discuss Advice on restoring tiled over victorian tiles in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

B

blahmartinblah

I’m looking for a little advice on the procedure for restoring some Victorian tiles. Here is some background:

• Victorian tiles a main entrance/door way. Approximately 1m x 0.5m. They were tiled over in the 70’s/80’s with something that I'm sure looked great at the time.
  • I have removed the top layer of tiles carefully using a hammer and chisel
  • I removed the cement/adhesive residue from the top surface of the Victorian tiles using a heavy duty scraper. There was also some sticky adhesive on the surface possibly from another previous covering. I applied LTP Solvex according to the manufacturers instructions 3 times which has done a pretty good job of removing most of the foreign materials. I plan to give them 1 last clean with some LTP Grimex.

Photo:
tiles.jpg

Questions:

• I’m not looking for the tiles to be perfect and I’m generally happy with their condition now. Would anyone recommend any further cleaning processes though?
  • The tiles need regrouting. What grout should I use? The gaps are much smaller than any tiles I have ever grouted. Is the process any different?
  • The black tiles along 1 edge have some holes drilled in them. I plan to fill these with black grout. I appreciate it will not be a perfect job, but acceptable for the standard I'm trying to achieve/time I have available. Is there any other techniques to hide holes such as these?
  • Should I seal/restore the tiles before grouting to prevent the grout staining the tiles? I have purchased LTP Colour Intensifier and Stainblock in anticipation for this.
  • Do I seal again after grouting? With the LTP Colour Intensifier and Stainblock or other?
  • Anything I’ve forgotten?

Appreciate any advice / compliments on my great work so far ;-)

Martin.

M

MARBLE_TONY

I would not being doing that repair with grout it will look awfull use a resin filler and if you want it cleaner after the grimes then buy a poultice leave it on for 24hours mix it with your grimex rinse and clean again then seal with the colour enhancing sealer couple of coats remember to wipe off excess.

B

blahmartinblah

Thanks for your reply Tony.
The epoxy/resin idea sounds good. I'll see what I can find.
Regarding the poultice - do you mean a product such as 'Aquamix Poultice Stain Remover' ? It seems strange to me that I would use Grimex along with this. Is it a trade secret or did I misunderstand you?

While the poultice sounds interesting, I'm not so worried about cleaning to them brand new condition. I would really value some advice on the correct procedure for grouting. (Use the colour intensifier and sealer before? after? both?)

Martin

Reply to Advice on restoring tiled over victorian tiles in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

I had a small leak in the main water line before the stop tap in my 1950s house. The copper pipe...
Replies
Views
Good morning all. After a little advice. I'll post pictures a bit later. However.... The...
Replies
Views
Bathroom floor. I would be grateful for advice on how to prepare my bathroom sub floor ready for...
Replies
Views
Hi! I'm looking for some advice, I have laid some SLC (Mapei 1210) in our conservatory in...
Replies
Views

Advertisement

New Tiling Questions

Replies you've not seen