Search the forum,

Discuss Advice on removing tiles from plywood in the America Tile Forum area at TilersForums.com.

Reaction score
Hello, new to tiling. Customer has requested that the previous floor is to be removed in the bathroom. My guess is that the existing tiles have been laid on a plywood floor.

how difficult is it to remove the tiles and prep the floor for the new tiles. Some videos I am seeing look like horror stories removing the thin set

Reaction score
You won’t know till you tackle it. Could be screwed or nailed.
Thanks for the reply. The plywood itself is not coming up. Just the existing tiles and adhesive. I’m just conscious how difficult it could be to clean off that plywood in order to be able to retile over it.

eddcottee

Arms
Reaction score
You shouldn't be tiling directly onto plywood mate, it's not an appropriate substrate for tiling onto. So rip it all up including the plywood and then ensure the floor is prepped correctly in order that the client receives a professional job if this is something they are paying money for, which I assume through your use of the word "customer" they are.

You'll then have to do your homework on the correct prep for whatever the situation here is. Use the search bar within this forum and do your research and you should be able to find the answers you need.

S

Steve C

Hello, new to tiling. Customer has requested that the previous floor is to be removed in the bathroom. My guess is that the existing tiles have been laid on a plywood floor.

how difficult is it to remove the tiles and prep the floor for the new tiles. Some videos I am seeing look like horror stories removing the thin set
DIY tiler, I needed to remove some tiles from a wooden floor and used a heat gun to heat tiles, came up okay and easy to remove adhesive when warmed.

Reply to Advice on removing tiles from plywood in the America Tile Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Bathroom floor. I would be grateful for advice on how to prepare my bathroom sub floor ready for...
Replies
Views
I had a small leak in the main water line before the stop tap in my 1950s house. The copper pipe...
Replies
Views
Hi! I'm looking for some advice, I have laid some SLC (Mapei 1210) in our conservatory in...
Replies
Views
Good morning all. After a little advice. I'll post pictures a bit later. However.... The...
Replies
Views
Hi all. Just wanting some advice and wondering what the pros in here are using nowadays for...
Replies
Views

Advertisement

New Tiling Questions

Replies you've not seen