Search the forum,

Discuss Advice on correct preperation for asphalt floor, (Pics Included) in the Canada Tile Advice area at TilersForums.com.

M

Makken

Hi, we are wanting to ceramic tile our kitchen floor, i took all the old vinyl tiles up and was left with what you see, quite a thin layer of asphelt/bitumen and it appears to be dry (not tacky or sticky or anything) sitting on a 50-70mm sandy floor screed (i don't want to try and remove the asphelt as its a pain in the arse), i was wondering what the best course of action would be for this floor, 'PVA it then use a flexible floor adhesive maybe', the missus bought normal tile adhesive but i don't think this will be any good. I've looked at other threads with varied opinions and am still a little confused, i was just wondering what the general concensus is for this type of problem and any recommendations on using a good primer/adhesive that will work, any help greatly appreciated.

Attachments

• Floor 1.jpg
    76.2 KB · Views: 176
  • Floor 2.jpg
    65.3 KB · Views: 166
  • Floor 3.jpg
    68.4 KB · Views: 182
M

Makken

Its dry (no tackiness or stickiness anywhere) does'nt appear to be flaking, only patchy from where bits lifted with the old tiles, very thin so was more than likely just an adhesive for the tiles.

Do i need flexi adhesive like mapei or something or can i still use the normal adhesive the missus bought?.

The ARDEX P 82 is very expensive, don't think i'll be able to spend that much, looking for something reasonably priced as a good primer to put on the asphelt or just an adhesive that will equally do the job, any more suggestions.

Reply to Advice on correct preperation for asphalt floor, (Pics Included) in the Canada Tile Advice area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

I had a small leak in the main water line before the stop tap in my 1950s house. The copper pipe...
Replies
Views
Hello, I'm just a home owner who doesn't have much experience with tiling but I'm looking for...
Replies
Views
Hi, I'm new to the forum and fairly new to tiling, my only previous "proper" job was my recent...
Replies
Views
Posting a tiling question to the forum? Post in Tilers' Talk if you are unsure which forum to post in. We'll move it if there's a more suitable forum.
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

Replies you've not seen