Search the forum,

Discuss Advice needed on my soft/powdery grout... in the DIY Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

Hi all,

I have recently tiles and grouted my en-suite (ceramic metro tiles, 100x200mm, 2mm grout lines) but have had a nightmare with the grouting, resulting in very soft, powdery weak grout.

I’m 99.9% sure it’s because I rushed and over watered the mixture, as well as used too damp sponge when cleaning up. Totally my fault, that one’s on me.

I have two questions:

1.) How deep do I need to go when raking out the old grout? I k ow normally when you’re regrouting it’s about 3mm, but do I need to go further/really clean out each joint so thatabsolutely none of the old bad grout remains for the new stuff to sit on?

2.) For the areas that won’t be getting wet, could I just use a sealer on those joints? I’ve used over 500 tiles (in brick pattern) and the thought of having to dig out grout from every single tile gives me nightmare sweats.

Thank you in advance!

Personally I would remove as much grout from the joint as possible and regrout.if it's as week as you say you could probably get it out with a stanley knife and lots of patience
Thank you for the reply - it’s quite weak, but does need a multi tool to get out. It’s an anthracite grey, and when I wash it over with a damp cloth the colour runs. Could I get away with using a grout sealer in the the non-wet areas?

Reply to Advice needed on my soft/powdery grout... in the DIY Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Good morning all. After a little advice. I'll post pictures a bit later. However.... The homeowner of the property I'm working on has just come to me and asked if anything can be done about...
Replies
Views
https://www.tilersforums.com/threads/shower-bath-tiling-preparation-plaster-and-wooden-windowsill.83462/#gsc.tab=0 There was some heated argument in the above thread! I don't have much...
Replies
Views
Hello, I'm just a home owner who doesn't have much experience with tiling but I'm looking for advice on fixing a few problems that a professional left me with. He of course has not responded to...
Replies
Views
  • Question
Hi, I'm new to the forum and fairly new to tiling, my only previous "proper" job was my recent bathroom (600x600 porcelain, about 25m walls and floors) which went pretty well. I'm now having a go...
Replies
Views
  • Question
I've got an AKW Tuff form shower tray with a waste that is 10mm above the tray when fully screwed in. The Tiler laid my 5mm hex mosaic tiles on a 2mm bed, so obvs wasn't going to drain. I took...
Replies
Views

Advertisement