Search the forum,

Discuss Where should tile finish in a doorway? in the Canada Tile Advice area at TilersForums.com.

G

geronimo183

I had my tiles fitted 18 months ago and have just got around to fitting some doors (long project), my question is have the tiles been finished in the correct place? They over lap into the door way so effectively finishing under the door when it is closed, however the door opens in to a room where the laminate flooring sits lower than the tiles.

I can fit the door but it will mean that when it is open (into the room with laminate) it will have a significant gap at the bottom which would have been cut off to accommodate the raise in the tile.

Would I be best to hang the door as is so a transition strip can be used between the two surfaces, or should I use an angle grinder with a diamond blade and cut to the line in the diagram so the door sits lower than the tiled surface but will butt up against the tiles when closed?

Would an angle grinder do the job?

DSC_0394#1 copy.jpg

I

IHB

So everyone would finish the floor PAST the door closer so you had to rebate the bottom of the door?
Nowt weirder than folk

If both floors are at the same height or a threshold strip is fitted then finishing past the door closer will hide the transition.

You won't want a lip to trip you into the room so best to fit a taper of some kind which will mean no need for a rebate and no gap under the door.

widler

TF
Esteemed
Arms
England
If both floors are at the same height or a threshold strip is fitted then finishing past the door closer will hide the transition.

You won't want a lip to trip you into the room so best to fit a taper of some kind which will mean no need for a rebate and no gap under the door.
Ok no problem, but whats this got to do with the thread ? If the floor is 2 heights would you finish past it so
A-you would see the different floor covering in the opposite room when door is closed
B-rebate the bottom of the door.
Now ive only been at this for a bit but i have never seen a door bottom rebated

John Benton

TF
Arms
Leeds
I always take my tile approx. 5-6mm into the casing where the door closes. Hopefully the floor covering on the other side also goes into the casing by at least that much. That way when the new threshold bar is fitted it actually sits underneath the door, in its rightful position and covers both floor coverings.

One of my pet hates is seeing door bars standing proud into a room!!!

widler

TF
Esteemed
Arms
England
Ok now im not rough just let me get this straight.
You lot would finish a floor which is 2 heights like the one above .
Am i reading this wrong ? You would all finish the floor so he has to take half inch of the door so it closes, instead of finishing the tiles so the door fits flush against the tiles and not have a big gap at the bottom .
I must be reading it wrong, ive gotta be .
You all can't surely think that is right, cutting half inch off a door so it shuts ?

widler

TF
Esteemed
Arms
England
Most of the time I dont know what the height of the other floor is ! Obviously if its already there or someone actually knows then it may be different. I cant actually remember a job where 2 floors were that different that a threshold strip wouldnt cover.

This is what im saying neale,this chap started the thread asking if it was right to cut down a door when the 2 floors are at different heights. The door won't shut unless he does this, imo its wrong,but i am in the minority,i just can't get my head round it why its fine to cut so much off the bottom of the door :)

AliGage

TF
Arms
Subscribed
Ok now im not rough just let me get this straight.
You lot would finish a floor which is 2 heights like the one above .
Am i reading this wrong ? You would all finish the floor so he has to take half inch of the door so it closes, instead of finishing the tiles so the door fits flush against the tiles and not have a big gap at the bottom .
I must be reading it wrong, ive gotta be .
You all can't surely think that is right, cutting half inch off a door so it shuts ?

No you're right. In this case I would of tiled to the end of the stop and finished the edge with some tile trim.
Don't think I've ever come across this scenario, generally floors I tile have the doors ooen into them. I,e bathrooms, kitchens.

But to answer the question generically I cut my tiles to the same position under the door as this guy has, it leaves enough room to fit a threshold bar directly under the door.

Unfortunately this tiler wasn't thorough enough to check the door closing prior to cutting and fixing.

widler

TF
Esteemed
Arms
England
a8uryra7.jpg

ejytyrap.jpg

Here's one I'm doing at the mo,it's how I've always finished doorways,same as carpet fitters really.
This is just a example how far out floors can be, it's a 1800s house, and by the time I cement boarded it, I did one half again to lift the length then SLC it to get it somewhere near,it was still a good inch out length ways
IMO if I finished this floor like the floor at 1st it would of looked daft when the door was shut.

widler

TF
Esteemed
Arms
England
Based on experience would it be easy to use an angle grinder with a diamond blade to cut or do I run the risk on damaging/chipping the tiles?

It would be ok with a good blade,a porcelain blade say,but you would struggle getting right in the edges ,if you take the guard off the grinder you may get close enough ,but I'm not advocating unsafe practice in any way.you must wear safety glasses safety gloves, a hard hat and a ribbed condom just to be safe ;)

Reply to Where should tile finish in a doorway? in the Canada Tile Advice area at TilersForums.com

Make sure to mark a post as a solution for better transparency.

There are similar tiling threads here

Hello there, Relatively recently we had a new en-suite fitted (complete rip out of the old fittings, and old wall tiles and floor carpet). This consisted of a quadrant shower enclosure, a...
Replies
Views
Posting a tiling question to the forum? Post in Tilers' Talk if you are unsure which forum to post in. We'll move it if there's a more suitable forum.

Advertisement

Birthdays