Search the forum,

Discuss Waterproofing existing shower in the Tilers' Talk - All Other Countries area at TilersForums.com.

Hello,
I am about to waterproof an existing shower after taking out all of the old tiles and old mud waterproofing.
From what I see there is an existing drainage. The idea is to clean everything with grinder (the rest of the previous material until reaching the drainage) and put new finish coat onto floor (on the concrete). After that comes new waterproofing sleeve and new sealing mud.
So far there was no leakages in this part of the shower, according to the previous owner of the apartment.

20240512_143536.jpg

Last edited:

Dan

Admin
Staff member
Staffordshire, UK
Get the old cement off and then send us another pic. Should then be fine using acrylic primer, then wet 'tanking system' (Mapei is available over there and they do a good one), then tile with cement-based adhesive and grout.

Those don't need to be water "proof". Cement is fine getting wet. It's the waterproofing underneath that will stop moisture getting into the structure of the shower.

Just to clarify, the current floor finishing will be grinded maybe 1 mm just to reach the concrete and remove any residues. After that, the floor will be smoothened with cement compound. Then comes the special waterproofing sleeve for the drain as well as two layers of waterproofing "mud".

At least here in Germany we are obliged to waterproof shower as well as the floor of the whole bathroom, if there is no additional drainage.

Those are some good regulations! I wish every bathroom had some waterproofing but for sure showers alone should.

Have you seen this one? - Water damaged shower repair | Tilers Forums - https://www.tilersforums.com/threads/water-damaged-shower-repair.103214/

Those are some good regulations! I wish every bathroom had some waterproofing but for sure showers alone should.

Have you seen this one? - Water damaged shower repair | Tilers Forums - https://www.tilersforums.com/threads/water-damaged-shower-repair.103214/

Attachments

• Eprok matte chart 1.jpg
    203.5 KB · Views: 9

Reply to Waterproofing existing shower in the Tilers' Talk - All Other Countries area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Hello, I am a noob trying to tile our shower. Since the old tiles were taken off, some of that wall material has been taken off as well, so everything had to be smoothed. After smoothing with some...
Replies
Views
  • Question
Water Damaged Shower Repairs Shower tile repair – water damage – tile waterproofing Do you have shower leakage that goes downstairs leading to either your main floor or basement? Read this blog...
Replies
Views
https://www.tilersforums.com/threads/shower-bath-tiling-preparation-plaster-and-wooden-windowsill.83462/#gsc.tab=0 There was some heated argument in the above thread! I don't have much...
Replies
Views
Hello there, Relatively recently we had a new en-suite fitted (complete rip out of the old fittings, and old wall tiles and floor carpet). This consisted of a quadrant shower enclosure, a...
Replies
Views
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

Birthdays