Search the forum,

Discuss Wall preparation for tiling in the America Tile Forum area at TilersForums.com.

Here is a picture of the wall on question

Attachments

• 20220208_152154.jpg
    227.6 KB · Views: 21

Trigger

Arms
uk
The plasterboard is dot and dabbed onto the block work, would it be best to remove board and dabs then dab a new board onto the block work?
2 options-

1) Remove plasterboard and replace like for like using dot and dab method. I would also put some mechanical fixings in aswell.

2) Glue a 6mm tiling board to the existing plasterboard and mechanically fix with screws and washers through the board into the blockwork. This option is more expensive but less hassle and creates less rubbish as you don't have to dispose of the old plasterboard.

Trigger

Arms
uk
The board has been compromised due to the paper face being torn off unfortunately. The paper serves a couple of purposes, it has thousands of microscopic pores in it to help plaster adhere to it but it also helps to control the suction/absortion of the water in the plaster or in this case the adhesive. If you attempted to plaster that the remaining brown paper would start to bubble up and delaminate from the core. I suspect it would do the same with the tile adhesive as a result of the water content of the adhesive as it will remain wet for a number of hours. I suppose priming them and then tanking might help, but why bother, just replace them.

Reply to Wall preparation for tiling in the America Tile Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

https://www.tilersforums.com/threads/shower-bath-tiling-preparation-plaster-and-wooden-windowsill.83462/#gsc.tab=0 There was some heated argument in the above thread! I don't have much...
Replies
Views
Hello, I am a noob trying to tile our shower. Since the old tiles were taken off, some of that wall material has been taken off as well, so everything had to be smoothed. After smoothing with some...
Replies
Views
  • Question
I have moved into a new house and want to tile the downstairs bathroom walls. Its not a big room but my wife likes the idea of a feature wall tile and then a grey / white tile on the other 3...
Replies
Views
  • Question
Hi, Can't seem to find a solid answer as I realise so much depends on multiple factors. I'm planning to tile my kitchen floor with 8mm porcelain floor tiles (660x440mm). My kitchen floor is...
Replies
Views
  • Question
I had a small leak in the main water line before the stop tap in my 1950s house. The copper pipe had worn away over the past 70 years, causing a small crack in the copper. A plumber/builder fixed...
Replies
Views
Posting a tiling question to the forum? Post in Tilers' Talk if you are unsure which forum to post in. We'll move it if there's a more suitable forum.

Advertisement

Birthdays