Search the forum,

Discuss Very Large Format..concrete Panels..on Walls in the Australia Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

M

MW Smith Ceramics

Hi everyone,

In need of some professional opinions on this one, I'm pricing up fixing some 1200 x 800 decorative concrete panels inside a living room.....13 metres in total/2 walls......the problem is the panels weigh in at 30kg per metre with adhesive and the walls are plastered!.....British standards only allow 20kg per metre so what would you guys do here?

I was looking at either electric sander on the plaster back to the plasterboard to allow 32kg per metre but what a game that will be and a right mess in someone's living room........or do I mechanically fix new plasterboard on top to the joists but client doesn't want wall coming out any further as this decorative concrete is 15mm thick as it is !......or do we take the plasterboard down and mechanically reboard new plasterboard onto stud work ????

Oh aswell as the panels being stuck with a 2 part adhesive the joints are created with fixing clips, wall plugs and screws to also horizontal joints to help strengthen/ hold in place the panels......the manufacturers have actually told me it would be fine to go onto the plaster with Mapei primer G then Mapei keraflex which is an s1 but I'm sure you need s 2 part s2 adhesive with this size tile???

Has anybody had any experience fixing this stuff??
What would you guys do here?

Any advice would be appreciated

Thanks

Mark

M

MW Smith Ceramics

Well after speaking with Mapei technical today they are insisting that an S2 addy should be used to accommodate the size and weight of theses panels and definately not tile onto the plaster at a meterage weight of 30kg - ( british standards states 20kg onto plaster )......

So I investigated further and spoke to british gypsum this afternoon and they told me there is no way of removing the plaster and getting back to the plasterboard without damaging it........so I think the avenue I'm thinking of taking here is to remove the existing 9.5mm plasterboard and skimmed walls completely, get back to the studwork and mechanically fix a 12.5mm plasterboard then install the concrete panels unless anybody has another solution??.........anyone???......just a lot of work but you don't want these bad boys coming off the walls when the family is watching telly!......YIKES!!!☺️

M

MW Smith Ceramics

It there's stud work why not over board with 12.5mm plasterboard....
Hi mate,

Yes that is another option, I did put both options across to the client but he just wants me to fix onto the plaster as the manufacturer of the panels say they do it all the time and haven't had any comebacks.......maybe it's one to walk away from and let someone else take the risk of fixing 30kg per metre onto plaster......its reputation that matters and I'm not gonna risk it..........

M

MW Smith Ceramics

Hi mate,

Yes that is another option, I did put both options across to the client but he just wants me to fix onto the plaster as the manufacturer of the panels say they do it all the time and haven't had any comebacks.......maybe it's one to walk away from and let someone else take the risk of fixing 30kg per metre onto plaster......its reputation that matters and I'm not gonna risk it..........
Client doesn't want the walls coming out any further as these panels are 15mm plus adhesive

M

MW Smith Ceramics

I wouldn't entertain fixing those on skim. The client shouldn't either. Imagine one of those coming off for the sake of a few quid!
Yeah for sure it's just wrong isn't it so its one or the other, mechanically board over to existing stud work with 12.5mm plasterboard or remove existing skimmed board and fix new 12.5mm board to the studwork.........ill put these options across and if he still wants to go onto the plaster then it will have to be another fixer......

H

hmtiling

Yeah for sure it's just wrong isn't it so its one or the other, mechanically board over to existing stud work with 12.5mm plasterboard or remove existing skimmed board and fix new 12.5mm board to the studwork.........ill put these options across and if he still wants to go onto the plaster then it will have to be another fixer......
I'd want back to stud and 12mm nmp but seems as though the customer is being difficult already. You're doing the right thing standing your ground pal

J

Just Rizzle

Hi Ray,

Yes they will be fixed with s2 addy clamped and pinned, so what's your substrate prep here mate.....before fixing????

Cheers
if your pinning and clamping like you would marble slabs then the weight of the tile is mechanically fixed to the wall. I used to do marble slabs years ago and the methods we used then would apply to this product. s2 addy would hold the slab but the weight is in the mechanical fixing so weight doesn't become an issue on the plaster. fix the clamp into the joists easy peasy.

J

Just Rizzle

Does the clamp show through onto the front of the tile / slab? I guess its like a little grabby hook thing?
you can not fix these tiles like you would normal tiles.
drill small holes into the sides and top of the tiles about 15mm in depth then you drop the pins in so the slabs alline up then another two holes into the top in front of the joists were u drop in your clamp then screw to the joist tile fixed. repeat on the next till all fixed. that's how we did it in the 80s

Last edited by a moderator:
M

MW Smith Ceramics

crikey Ray,

Sounds technical!......I'm not sure the fixing method is the same as the marble slabs you have worked on......it seems the clamps with these decorative concrete slabs sit in all the horizontal joints and create the exact joint size.....there is no technical Enquiry line on the company website, I have just spoken to the distributor who is the only contact I can get hold of, I have a drawing and a little bit on fixing guide......as follows......all the info and pics I have.......

image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg

M

MW Smith Ceramics

Yeah, that's what I thought it would look like. I saw some cool stuff on You Tube too...some Australian fella selling a product but again a similar process. I just wasn't sure how it would look from the front, but now I see. Looks like heavy stuff!
Think I'll have a browse on you tube see what I can find......cheers for feedback mucka

J

Just Rizzle

in a way very similar to the way we fixed in the 80.s except these holes are pre drilled and our slap work was tight jointed. to hold the tile above I would drill a 6mm hole 150 from the edge and 10mm deep and center of the slabs edge above and below and put in a 4mm copper pin this will align the tiles. using a 4mmpin gives u a bit of tolerance. we used to make our own clamps and pins with 4 mm copper wire and copper screws

Last edited by a moderator:
M

MW Smith Ceramics

in a way very similar to the way we fixed in the 80.s except these holes are pre drilled and our slap work was tight jointed. to hold the tile above I would drill a 6mm hole 150 from the edge and 10mm deep and center of the slabs edge above and below and put in a 4mm copper pin this will align the tiles. using a 4mmpin gives u a bit of tolerance. we used to make our own clamps and pins with 4 mm copper wire and copper screws

The brackets in those pics look suitable for a concrete/block wall, but not so much for over boarded studwork. I get folk often looking at tiles too heavy for there skimmed walls. Most don't want to alter there substrate too much and opt for something lighter. There understandably concerned about the safety aspect. Sensible people.
Then there's people that think that gravity won't apply to them.

M

MW Smith Ceramics

Thanks for all your feedback and advice Ray,

You certainly seem to know your stuff mate,I'll let you know how I get on if I end up doing the job, will send pics.......cheers mucka

Reply to Very Large Format..concrete Panels..on Walls in the Australia Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

Make sure to mark a post as a solution for better transparency.

There are similar tiling threads here

https://www.tilersforums.com/threads/shower-bath-tiling-preparation-plaster-and-wooden-windowsill.83462/#gsc.tab=0 There was some heated argument in the above thread! I don't have much...
Replies
Views
Posting a tiling question to the forum? Post in Tilers' Talk if you are unsure which forum to post in. We'll move it if there's a more suitable forum.

Advertisement

Birthdays