Search the forum,

Discuss Use silicone instead of grout in the Tile Adhesive / Grout Advice area at TilersForums.com.

M

Max_Antax

Dear all,

I have corner shower which is leaking, I believe, because of faulty grouting.

One of the walls has some movement and this results in the grout failing at regular intervals: I have re-grouted two times now and the problem stops temporarily, only to for it to come back after 3 / months.

As I'm planning to undertake major refurbishment soon I'm looking for a quick fix and was wondering: can I use silicone instead of grout to fill the tile joints?

I'm planning to rake out the grout, mask the tiles and fill the joints with silicone. I would say that it should be sufficient to do this up to 1m from the tray. I'm planning to use low modulus exterior grade silicone of the type used to fill expansion joints.

Is this idea any good? Any specific product in mind? Can you think of suitable alternatives?

Many thanks for your help,

Max

Reply to Use silicone instead of grout in the Tile Adhesive / Grout Advice area at TilersForums.com

Make sure to mark a post as a solution for better transparency.

There are similar tiling threads here

• Question
Hi, I am planning on tiling my concrete garage floor with porcelain tiles. The concrete was laid down several years ago by a previous owner, and it looks like it was also polished and sealed -...
Replies
Views

Advertisement

Birthdays