Search the forum,

Discuss To seal black floor grout or not? in the Tile Adhesive / Grout Advice area at TilersForums.com.

Tile Fix Direct

TF
TF Official Sponsor
Aldershot
Does the grout fade, or does dirt and limescale sit on the surface and make it look like it has faded? Dirt and contamination on dark grouts (not in them) will always appear lighter and could give the effect of fading. If this is the cause of 'fading' then sealing is not the issue but cleaning.

Tile Fix Direct

TF
TF Official Sponsor
Aldershot
You would have thought sealing grout would help cleaning, but it might have unintended consequences. Depending on the sealer it may prevent the grout 'breathing' which could result in salts/moisture building up behind the sealer and discolouring the grout. Different grouts/sealers and substrates could all have different effects. Best contact the grout manufacturer.

I

Italy

Hello all, I have recently laid ceramic tiles in my hall, bathroom and kitchen(all the same tile) I have used Mapei black grout.
I have never sealed grout before but because it's black grout I was considering sealing it because of fading?
Any recommendations please?
if it is ultracolor plus black, it does not need anything.

Does the grout fade, or does dirt and limescale sit on the surface and make it look like it has faded? Dirt and contamination on dark grouts (not in them) will always appear lighter and could give the effect of fading. If this is the cause of 'fading' then sealing is not the issue but cleaning.
Hi.its only been down a few days and looks fine now. I just want it staying that way.just wanted to know if sealing grout was common practice?

Reply to To seal black floor grout or not? in the Tile Adhesive / Grout Advice area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

• Question
Hi, I am planning on tiling my concrete garage floor with porcelain tiles. The concrete was laid down several years ago by a previous owner, and it looks like it was also polished and sealed -...
Replies
Views
  • Question
Hi, I‘ve just finished tiling the majority of my garden path. Base is concrete, and tiles are porcelain. I’ve just got to the end of my bag of Mapei flexible rapid set tile adhesive (powdered)...
Replies
Views
  • Question
I have moved into a new house and want to tile the downstairs bathroom walls. Its not a big room but my wife likes the idea of a feature wall tile and then a grey / white tile on the other 3...
Replies
Views
Hello I plan to tile our bathroom with 60x60 cm tiles (8 mm thick) and the shower (because of the slope from all sides) will be done with mosaic tiles (5x5 cm). After researching I came to the...
Replies
Views
  • Question
Bathroom floor. I would be grateful for advice on how to prepare my bathroom sub floor ready for tiling.I have removed the floor boards and plan to lay 18mm WBP plywood.The question is, what...
Replies
Views
Posting a tiling question to the forum? Post in Tilers' Talk if you are unsure which forum to post in. We'll move it if there's a more suitable forum.

Advertisement

Birthdays