Search the forum,

Discuss Tiling with mosaics in the DIY Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

Hello

Although I have tiled before, I've never tiled with mosaics and was wondering if I could be given some advice (and any tips)?

I have some Hammered Pearl glass mosaic tiles that I want to cut and use as a horizontal border for my downstairs toilet. They are to compliment plain bumpy white tiles.

What is the process when tiling a room with ceramic tiles with a mosaic border? Do I just tile from the bottom (or rather the lowest full tile supported by battens) and then when I get to where I want my border to appear just continue with the mosaic sheet?

Or do I work out where I want the border, mark that measurement all around the room, tile up to and above it and add the mosaic tiles last (and hope to god that I've measured properly and that they fit the gap)? If I do this, when I'm calculating the space I need to leave do I have to include the measurements for spacers at the top and bottom?

Do I need to use different adhesive for small mosaic tiles?

The mosaic tiles are slightly deeper than the ceramic tiles (just by about 1mm I think). Is this a problem? Will having a different sized notched trowel compensate?

Thank you.

Reply to Tiling with mosaics in the DIY Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

• Question
Hi all, I've laid some Arditex NA over the kitchen floor area (not under cabinets. The area is 4.5m x 1.8m. The top third of the room is totally level. The remainder of the room has a slope...
Replies
Views
Hello, I am a noob trying to tile our shower. Since the old tiles were taken off, some of that wall material has been taken off as well, so everything had to be smoothed. After smoothing with some...
Replies
Views
  • Question
I've got an AKW Tuff form shower tray with a waste that is 10mm above the tray when fully screwed in. The Tiler laid my 5mm hex mosaic tiles on a 2mm bed, so obvs wasn't going to drain. I took...
Replies
Views
  • Question
I have moved into a new house and want to tile the downstairs bathroom walls. Its not a big room but my wife likes the idea of a feature wall tile and then a grey / white tile on the other 3...
Replies
Views
  • Question
Hi, I'm new to the forum and fairly new to tiling, my only previous "proper" job was my recent bathroom (600x600 porcelain, about 25m walls and floors) which went pretty well. I'm now having a go...
Replies
Views

Advertisement

Birthdays