Search the forum,

Discuss Slc over ditra in the General Off-topic Chat (nothing tile) area at TilersForums.com.

O

Old Mod

I've asked the question before to a schluter rep and said how come they recommend to Slc over ditra heat and not normal ditra and he couldn't give me a proper answer , he just faffed.
I wouldn't be so sure you are correct in that statement.
image.png

O

One Day

How about this then?: In some places they comb the floor with 12mm notch of runny adhesive then roller the Ditra to the adhesive - UPSIDE DOWN.
Why?
Saves time filling the holes.

Look - if it works, it works. Maybe not in the labs, but in the real world.
So if it works - do it. If it doesn't - don't.
If you're unsure - ask.
But take it from me - you're far better off working it out for yourself.

O

One Day

Yeah - I'am sure they will stand by any guarantee if you do that!
Maybe you miss the point? it's about finding what works for you. If the upside down malarky works, then i can see the sense in it. Personally i wouldn't risk it. But i do, on larger areas flood my ditra with slc. I've discussed it with different people at schluter before and there is a risk of reducing performance, but not if the bond is strong between your slc dovetails and the adhesive bed.
As i say, not by the book, but it works.
Manufacturer's will always minimise risk involved in their products by simplifying useage as much as possible. There will always be idiots using things wrong, but there will always be 'idiots?! ' using them differently.

Last edited by a moderator:
S

Stef

As for guarantees, i used anhyfix under 300sqm of ditra. No guarantee because i did that. Why did i do it then? Common sense says that I've minimised my risk. Schluter haven't officially tested the product so they won't guarantee it. Mark at TM has and he has faith in it, as do i.
Anhyfix will stick to anything. I've a few bags left over from jobs & trying to use it up on wall tiling.
I've no more gypsum screeds coming up & don't want to have it too long before it gets used.

T

Time's Ran Out

Impish -
I've 'missed the point' how do you reckon that?
Your advocating on a forum to use a product incorrectly and then saying you wouldn't risk it after that method was questioned.
It's the type of advice that may cause a problem/failure and leaving those seeking professional help without any manufacturers guarantee.
Not sure where you stand with your 'idiots' comment.

O

Old Mod

Interesting that 3 fall. The rep told me I could use Slc over ditra heat to save on adhesive. Cheers for the info tho.
Now see, that's not what you said in your post was it! Haha
You said
how come they recommend to Slc over ditra heat and not normal ditra and he couldn't give me a proper answer , he just faffed.
Which is not actually the same thing is it! Haha
Your second post makes much more sense, good to know too!

A

Aston

How about this then?: In some places they comb the floor with 12mm notch of runny adhesive then roller the Ditra to the adhesive - UPSIDE DOWN.
Why?
Saves time filling the holes.

Look - if it works, it works. Maybe not in the labs, but in the real world.
So if it works - do it. If it doesn't - don't.
If you're unsure - ask.
But take it from me - you're far better off working it out for yourself.

I get what you are saying but when you say ''if it works, it works'', and in the ''real world'' etc BUT How long does it work? wheres the testing and the long term proof..

Trust me, Ive been in the construction industry since 1985 and if I had to take the word of a science dept or a guy with a hunch, then i'm going with the science dept..why?? because they prove what they claim works.

BUT I hear what you are saying and I get respect your view.

O

One Day

I get what you are saying but when you say ''if it works, it works'', and in the ''real world'' etc BUT How long does it work? wheres the testing and the long term proof..

Trust me, Ive been in the construction industry since 1985 and if I had to take the word of a science dept or a guy with a hunch, then i'm going with the science dept..why?? because they prove what they claim works.

BUT I hear what you are saying and I get respect your view.

Then I thank you :)
As a profession we really need to start getting away from being "babied" and spoon fed all our info from manufacturers. For too long they've held all the cards. They should be really be working with us and for us, instead of trying to simply milk us all for profit.

Times - they are a changin'... (or will be soon I hope)

A

Aston

unfortunately that's the cut throat world of business and profit and it ain't going to change.

they report back any minuscule changes in temperature, expansion, grip, water resistance and whatever else they want to use as a reason to increase prices or launch a 'new improved product'. they try to brain wash us through marketing, 'freebies for trials' and hearsay through regurgitation of gullible forum members BUT if you know different and you can prove it, then I say use it and keep it to yourself and your apprentice because if you say it on here, or there for that matter, not every body will buy into your experience because.....we are just ordinary tradesman, with no clout, no influence and no importance...........cruel but true.

Reply to Slc over ditra in the General Off-topic Chat (nothing tile) area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

• Question
Hi! I'm looking for some advice, I have laid some SLC (Mapei 1210) in our conservatory in preparation for tiling. A couple of days after there's a lot of very fine cracks which have appeared, you...
Replies
Views
Further to my other post re our hollow tiles issue It looks like our tiler has dot and dabbed most of our floor to accommodate tiling 800x800 porcelain over an uneven floor. The gap from defrac...
Replies
Views
  • Question
Hi all, I've laid some Arditex NA over the kitchen floor area (not under cabinets. The area is 4.5m x 1.8m. The top third of the room is totally level. The remainder of the room has a slope...
Replies
Views
  • Question
Hi, Can't seem to find a solid answer as I realise so much depends on multiple factors. I'm planning to tile my kitchen floor with 8mm porcelain floor tiles (660x440mm). My kitchen floor is...
Replies
Views
https://www.tilersforums.com/threads/shower-bath-tiling-preparation-plaster-and-wooden-windowsill.83462/#gsc.tab=0 There was some heated argument in the above thread! I don't have much...
Replies
Views
Posting a tiling question to the forum? Post in Tilers' Talk if you are unsure which forum to post in. We'll move it if there's a more suitable forum.

Advertisement

Birthdays