Search the forum,

Discuss Self Levelling Compound issue (pictures) in the Canada Tile Advice area at TilersForums.com.

So this is my first time using SLC, it's Mapei ULTRAPLAN 3240. Once I was coming to the end of the mix I notice a sludge at the bottom, I assume because I've mixed too fast *Facepalm. I mixed half a 25kg bag. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. I'm worried the mixed might be too wet now...

16gk8qu.jpg

eq8sp2.jpg

Knowing that SLC very well I would say it wont likely fail but it certainly wont be as strong a mix as if the whole bag was mixed with a paddle mixer. I presume it was very wet when your poured it?

Not sure what very wet is as this is my first time, it seemed fairly thick. I noticed the top layer of SLC was runny and there was a sludge underneath the top web layer

Boggs

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Uk
I’ve never use this Mapei slc before, but it does look a bit cloudy, like it’s not mixed right.

As said above always mix the whole bag, but I tend to hold back a handful in the bag as it just allows the mix to be a bit better at flowing without affecting its strength.

I’ve never use this Mapei slc before, but it does look a bit cloudy, like it’s not mixed right.

As said above always mix the whole bag, but I tend to hold back a handful in the bag as it just allows the mix to be a bit better at flowing without affecting its strength.

Appreciate your advice, thankyou.

Although, I was very careful when halfing the bag, I had weighing scales. Still recommend to use the whole bag? Do you use the whole bag as the fibres may have settled at the bottom?

That’s the fibres.

What did you mix it with, and how long for?

I can see it's the fibres, just curious why it's dried so quickly in that area in particular. Two coats of primer needed?

I mixed with clean water as stated on the packaging

I mixed 2mins at a guess, until the right texture, I let it stand for a few mins and gave it another quick mix.

I did mix at very high speed which I now realise the bag says mix slowly...

Boggs

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Uk
But if you only mixed half the bag then the fibre to aggregate ratio is no longer correct meaning you probably have more fibres in the floor than aggregate to set it.

To be honest it doesn’t matter how long it was mixed for or how fast or slow it was not going to be right.

L

LM

I mix part bags all the time. Experience tells you if it’s too wet or too dry. Did you let the mix stand long in the bucket? It looks fine to me on the floor. With renovation screed I always use eco prime t although it states primer g is ok in certain circumstances.
As Marc says don’t worry about it tonight if when you next walk on it it’s solid enough and a light poke with a scraper can’t do too much damage to it it’ll be fine.
What tiles are you laying around the toilet?

Reply to Self Levelling Compound issue (pictures) in the Canada Tile Advice area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

• Question
Hi! I'm looking for some advice, I have laid some SLC (Mapei 1210) in our conservatory in preparation for tiling. A couple of days after there's a lot of very fine cracks which have appeared, you...
Replies
Views
Posting a tiling question to the forum? Post in Tilers' Talk if you are unsure which forum to post in. We'll move it if there's a more suitable forum.

Advertisement

Birthdays