Search the forum,

Discuss Self leveling compound in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

P

paul.c

Ok New apartment and all the floors have self leveling compound on them. There is a thin layer in the corner and it has slight cracks. Apartment is ground floor and its a concrete building.

Question 1- What preparation do i need for tiling on this surface. Do I need to prime it with something or can I just lash the adhesive down and tile away?

Question 2- I have bathroom and on-suite. I want to tile the walls around the bath sinks and shower. What do I use to prime walls for adhesive? also do I need a tanking system. Ive heard about this and dont really no what it is or when its needed.

Question 3- The bathrooms dont have self leveling down obviously because its going to be tiled. Is there priming or any prep before adhesive?

Question 4- There are tiles above the sink and kitchen units, standard crap! When removed and cleaned up, what prep is needed?

Sorry if all my questions are stupid, as I have pointed out in other posts I can cut and lay but the prep work was always done before I got in so Im learning at the moment. Again Im not a tiler im a chippy that has tiled a good few times.

Sorry about mad long questions and cheers in advance:smilewinkgrin:

P

paul.c

cheers, The apartment was just snagged last week and the keys are being handed over on Wednesday. TBH the builder put the compound down so I dont know what brand it was. Evo-stick SLC is the most common ive seen used and Id imagine thats what was used. I would say it has cracked because in that particular place it looked very thin.

The walls are plasterboard battoned to concrete, I was going to use ardex wall adhesive.(for wall tile)

Is it alright to lay floor tile straight down on slc or concrete screed using ardex floor adhesive. Any prep tips?

Also the tile on the wall in the bathroom will be removed as neatly as possible but if the wall is too damaged I will re-slab it.

Last edited by a moderator:

Reply to Self leveling compound in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

Make sure to mark a post as a solution for better transparency.

There are similar tiling threads here

• Question
Hi! I'm looking for some advice, I have laid some SLC (Mapei 1210) in our conservatory in preparation for tiling. A couple of days after there's a lot of very fine cracks which have appeared, you...
Replies
Views
  • Question
I have moved into a new house and want to tile the downstairs bathroom walls. Its not a big room but my wife likes the idea of a feature wall tile and then a grey / white tile on the other 3...
Replies
Views
  • Question
Hi all, I've laid some Arditex NA over the kitchen floor area (not under cabinets. The area is 4.5m x 1.8m. The top third of the room is totally level. The remainder of the room has a slope...
Replies
Views
  • Question
Hi, Can't seem to find a solid answer as I realise so much depends on multiple factors. I'm planning to tile my kitchen floor with 8mm porcelain floor tiles (660x440mm). My kitchen floor is...
Replies
Views
  • Question
Hi, I'm new to the forum and fairly new to tiling, my only previous "proper" job was my recent bathroom (600x600 porcelain, about 25m walls and floors) which went pretty well. I'm now having a go...
Replies
Views

Advertisement

Birthdays

You're browsing the UK Tiling Forum category on TilersForums.com, the tile advice website no matter which country you reside.