Search the forum,

Discuss Removal of stubborn oil stain on concrete floor before tiling in the America Tile Forum area at TilersForums.com.

Hiya,

I am in the process of preparing a concrete floor in my mum's house for tiling, and have found that cooking oil which was spilled on the carpet years ago has gone right through, leaving some stubborn stains.

I have already tried
  • Sugar soap/detergent
  • Mix of sawdust and white spirit, covered and left for 48 hours
  • A degreaser product scrubbed and rinsed
Each of the above has removed some of the oil, but a fairly large stubborn stain still remains.

I've attached pictures of before and after the above treatments, the one ending in 2310 is the after - although I suppose hopefully anyone reading might be able to tell just from looking!

Does anybody know if what I have done should be sufficient, or should I be aiming to completely remove the oil stain?
I am just concerned that, long term, the oil may compromise/break down the adhesive and lead to cracked/damaged tiles.

Thanks for taking the time to read this!

Attachments

• IMG_20220712_154644.jpg
    288.3 KB · Views: 20
  • IMG_20220712_154637.jpg
    310.5 KB · Views: 13
  • IMG_20220719_162310.jpg
    380.5 KB · Views: 15

Reply to Removal of stubborn oil stain on concrete floor before tiling in the America Tile Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

• Question
Bathroom floor. I would be grateful for advice on how to prepare my bathroom sub floor ready for tiling.I have removed the floor boards and plan to lay 18mm WBP plywood.The question is, what...
Replies
Views
  • Question
Hi, Can't seem to find a solid answer as I realise so much depends on multiple factors. I'm planning to tile my kitchen floor with 8mm porcelain floor tiles (660x440mm). My kitchen floor is...
Replies
Views
  • Question
Hi, I am planning on tiling my concrete garage floor with porcelain tiles. The concrete was laid down several years ago by a previous owner, and it looks like it was also polished and sealed -...
Replies
Views
https://www.tilersforums.com/threads/shower-bath-tiling-preparation-plaster-and-wooden-windowsill.83462/#gsc.tab=0 There was some heated argument in the above thread! I don't have much...
Replies
Views
  • Question
Hi, I'm new to the forum and fairly new to tiling, my only previous "proper" job was my recent bathroom (600x600 porcelain, about 25m walls and floors) which went pretty well. I'm now having a go...
Replies
Views

Advertisement

Birthdays