Search the forum,

Discuss Old plaster came away, render looks solid and flat what do i need to seal it with prior to tiling? in the DIY Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

P

paul cumpo

Hi All,
Have just started removing the tiles in an old bathroom and the plaster is coming off with the old tiles but the render remains in tact and in decent condition, the surface appears to be solid, dry and flat.
Do I need to apply a primer prior to tiling? is a fairly wet room so don't want to make any errors in preparation but also on a fairly tight budget.
Added a photo of the area.
Thanks in advance for any advise.
Paul

20180121_155409.jpg

P

paul cumpo

Ok ive made the decision to remove all the bonding or first skim (whatever its best know as) and go back to the brickwork. Ive done a fair bit of plasterboarding but never aquaboarding and to me this looks an expensive option and could be tricky to do around the window area so thinking it might be cheaper to plasterboard and then tank the area around bath/shower.

Reply to Old plaster came away, render looks solid and flat what do i need to seal it with prior to tiling? in the DIY Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

Make sure to mark a post as a solution for better transparency.

There are similar tiling threads here

https://www.tilersforums.com/threads/shower-bath-tiling-preparation-plaster-and-wooden-windowsill.83462/#gsc.tab=0 There was some heated argument in the above thread! I don't have much...
Replies
Views
Posting a tiling question to the forum? Post in Tilers' Talk if you are unsure which forum to post in. We'll move it if there's a more suitable forum.

Advertisement

Birthdays