Search the forum,

Discuss New van time in the General Business Advice area at TilersForums.com.

Fraser Tiling

TF
Esteemed
High Wycombe
Yeah, I took that into account, but with the first downpayment, monthly payments over 4 years, the van is nearly paid for but you don't own it.
Thats if its been returned in excellent condition.
My van takes alot of knocks, scratches and minor damage on and off site, cant imagine the list of repairs needed to return the van after four years.
The cost of getting a loan on an older vehicle once the depreciation has calmed down, and yearly maintenance costs isnt that much less than the leasing option, if the Vat was deductible, it would be a much more realistic option.

Dan

Admin
Staff member
Staffordshire, UK
Never bought a brand new vehicle before. It's the thought of the large depreciation in value as soon as it's been owned. Vansdirect offered the same APR as a loan i've been approved for so still undecided whether to go brand new or 14 plate for 10k less
You can offset a brand new vehicle against your tax for 3 years.

Fraser Tiling

TF
Esteemed
High Wycombe
The tax options become a minefield, at the end of the day, the less your vehicle costs the better, as long as it doesn't look old and tatty, and you have faith it wont drip oil on your customers driveways, any money you're not spending on it goes in your pocket.
Good signwriting is one of your cheapest and most affective advertising, as long as you don't drive as aggressively as I do, giving yourself a bad image!
Hence, I've not signwritten mine, but will on my next van, and learn to slow down a bit.

D

Dumbo

The inside of the custom is by far the best of the bunch it feels like home but I don't think I wanna be getting my self into 18G's of debt my plan is to buy a 10 plate vivaro of a friend he's had it for t years on finance and it ends in march he wants £5000 for it with 70000 ish miles full history maybe next time round ill be brave enough to get the custom
Good move

L

LM

The cheapest way to drive a van is to buy it new and drive it for 9-12 years, divide the monthly costs over the 9/12 years and it's a no brainer plus you have the benefit of the van not having been abused and should run well.
If your vat reged then it's even better, buy it at the end of your quarter or year and you claim that back right away, which is normally your deposit. As Dan says I've been advised that it's a 3 year costing unless you lease, but then your heavily constrained by mileage and condition.
Ultimately there's no set way that's right for everyone, it depends on your business position at the time of purchase. Wether your cash rich for deposits, vat reged etc, the glove needs to fit the hand. One thing that can't be underestimated is image, to some builders you'll look like you charge too much and to some customers you could appear as if your not good enough to be able to afford a decent van. Horses for courses!

Reply to New van time in the General Business Advice area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Morning All! I thought it was about time to start a new Good Morning Thread. The old thread can be found HERE but is quite long so not as easy to find specific posts. So tell us what you are up...
Replies
Views
  • Suggestion
I spend some time in doorways. TJ's Doorway Mosaics for McKenzie Shop Front
Replies
Views
  • Question
A little help guys. I've been asked to price 71sqm of limestone flooring. My issue is this, The property unfortunately flooded throughout. Now although I'm told it's all dry now I'm reluctant...
Replies
Views
  • Question
I have moved into a new house and want to tile the downstairs bathroom walls. Its not a big room but my wife likes the idea of a feature wall tile and then a grey / white tile on the other 3...
Replies
Views
  • Question
Water Damaged Shower Repairs Shower tile repair – water damage – tile waterproofing Do you have shower leakage that goes downstairs leading to either your main floor or basement? Read this blog...
Replies
Views
Posting a tiling question to the forum? Post in Tilers' Talk if you are unsure which forum to post in. We'll move it if there's a more suitable forum.

Advertisement

Birthdays