Search the forum,

Discuss Laying travertine on electric underfloor heating. in the Canada Tile Advice area at TilersForums.com.

Hi all, I can't seem to find a thread with the info I need so hopefully someone can help 🤞

I have a 25 sqm extension which I have just built for a customer which he now wants tiled with honed and filled travertine tiles 600x300 from Topps tiles layed in brick bond format,

I have had a tiler friend of mine come and quote the job, then he calls me a few days later and says he is a little worried about the tiles cracking,

At the moment it's a concrete screed with latex on top, and insulated cement boards combed with tile Addy onto the screed with the recommended expansion gaps around the outside edge,

Electric underfloor heating will be fitted next week and latexed ready to tile!

Can the tiles be laid with a flexible Addy straight into the screed without cracking?

Albert

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Gateshead NE8, UK
Thanks for the reply, very helpful!

I heard you need the antifracture membrane but when I checked the bal sitework guidence it doesn't specify you need to use it.

Are there any other travertines which are better? Thanks.
[automerge]1568836303[/automerge]
My customer is pretty set on using travertine 🤦🏻‍♂️
A lot of porcelain lookalikes out there

Boggs

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Uk
What about using Ditra heat, 2 birds, one stone....

S

Spare Tool

Did an extension in travertine on a wet heated floor the other year, original tilers had gone straight on the screed and had more cracks than Amsterdam central 🙄 ...had to join up to original so only had height to go for a thin crackmat, not one crack in the extension up to now, wouldn't lay any natural stone on ufh without it..

Sean Kelly

TF
Arms
Ruislip
You definitely need an uncoupling membrane with natural stone.

Topps travertine is not good quality. You will need double the quantity as every box will have cracked and damaged tiles. It will take the tiler half a day just to check the tiles for damage etc.

I was on a job a few years ago where i had to go back to Topps 3 times to exchange boxes of bad travertine.

Reply to Laying travertine on electric underfloor heating. in the Canada Tile Advice area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

• Question
I had a small leak in the main water line before the stop tap in my 1950s house. The copper pipe had worn away over the past 70 years, causing a small crack in the copper. A plumber/builder fixed...
Replies
Views
Hello there, Relatively recently we had a new en-suite fitted (complete rip out of the old fittings, and old wall tiles and floor carpet). This consisted of a quadrant shower enclosure, a...
Replies
Views
Posting a tiling question to the forum? Post in Tilers' Talk if you are unsure which forum to post in. We'll move it if there's a more suitable forum.

Advertisement

Birthdays