Search the forum,

Discuss Insurance shocker.. in the Australia Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

S

Spare Tool

Thought I'd post this as a warning to any guys out there that have their vans sign written but have not informed their insurance companies.. Up until about 6 months ago I was a plain white van man but decided to get the van sign written. Never thought anything about it, this week my insurance on the van came up for renewal, phoned them today to accept it and when questioned on modifications I mentioned the sign writing, the guy on the phone puts me on hold then comes back and says my insurance has been invalid since I had the sign writing and they are cancelling the policy as their underwriters don't cover on sign written vans. Took me an hour of ringing round companies to get one that would accept...at an extra cost of over £100 more than my original renewal quote I might add.
worth checking IMHO..

S

Spare Tool

Insurance company that canceled me was a large well known well advertised firm that starts with privil and ends in ege, god knows what would have happened if I'd have had a shunt.. Tried aviva first and they were well over double my original renewal I fact nearly treble, ended up on a van comparison site that put me through to AIG and that's who I've gone with...thank The Lord they don't still sponsor Man Utd ;)

S

Spare Tool

When I asked the insurance company what's the deal with the signwriting thing the only thing he could say well if someone's driving down the road and reading your van instead of watching the road he/she might crash into you...ffsake with all the short skirts out in the sun at the moment, far more chance of causing a shunt imo.. and I'm getting penalised for advertising my business ;)

S

Spare Tool

Funny you mentioned this just renewed my insurance and they adked if the van was sign written...couldn't see what difference it made....btw mines not.
Got fully comp for £160

After I got the second quote of over a grand I was tempted to go and rip the signs off... Wow £160, didn't think I'd done too bad to get mine eventually for £500, probably not too much car crime in the cotswalds compared to burnley eh Andy..

Andy Allen

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Gloucester
After I got the second quote of over a grand I was tempted to go and rip the signs off... Wow £160, didn't think I'd done too bad to get mine eventually for £500, probably not too much car crime in the cotswalds compared to burnley eh Andy..

I got 10 years n.c.d ,no pionts, vans parked on a secure driveway, and your right nothing exciting happens round here...lol

S

Spare Tool

Just fished out my dcuments...bloke I delt with was lee rosamond on 0238061884 might be worth giving him a try. Even manged to get my n.c.d protected for £5.00 lol

I'm on it tomorrow thanks Andy, panicked a bit with my insurance getting canceled so just went for first one that'd cover me for a reasonable fee but I've 14days to change my mind...I'll give him a ring tomorrow, with a bit of commission for this you'll be on free insurance next year:thumbsup:

S

Stef

I'm on it tomorrow thanks Andy, panicked a bit with my insurance getting canceled so just went for first one that'd cover me for a reasonable fee but I've 14days to change my mind...I'll give him a ring tomorrow, with a bit of commission for this you'll be on free insurance next year:thumbsup:

Give Andys name & I think both party's get a freebie.
I've just renewed with A plan & I was £370, that's 9yrs ncd & parked on a drive, van is only 6 months old.
Dodgy postcode up here though.

S

Spare Tool

how does distracting other road users cause you to crash. if they crash into you its their fault and their insurance paying .

Hmmm good point Alan, but that's the only reason the guy could give me, I was talking to Widler about it this afternoon and he pointed out that surely a van with sign writing is easier to spot if it's been stolen so that should work in our favour too...

S

smidy69

I rang up About getting insurance on a new van the other day and told them I was thinking of getting my van sign written at some stage in future and could they let me know what the difference would be in price and they told me that it would actually be £15 cheaper because if it was stolen then with the sign writing on it then it would be easier to recover. It was aviva I got my insurance with

D

Deleted member 9966

Speaking of insurance, check you have current MOT certs as well. If you were to have a bump without a current MOT, I'm sure your insurance company wouldn't be impressed.

I shall confess, I've just found out my car has no MOT and I was unknowingly driving it for 10 months before I found out. I blame Mr GRR, he blames me because it's my car (even though he drove it daily)... Check your MOT and tax and don't rely on anybody else reminding you... I swear it's grounds for divorce...

S

Spare Tool

I rang up About getting insurance on a new van the other day and told them I was thinking of getting my van sign written at some stage in future and could they let me know what the difference would be in price and they told me that it would actually be £15 cheaper because if it was stolen then with the sign writing on it then it would be easier to recover. It was aviva I got my insurance with
Aviva were happy to offer cover on a sign written van but quoted me over a grand :yikes:

si.cleary

TF
Arms
b19761526086cd5f4baee0ce4a83bf7f.jpg

Reply to Insurance shocker.. in the Australia Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

Make sure to mark a post as a solution for better transparency.
Posting a tiling question to the forum? Post in Tilers' Talk if you are unsure which forum to post in. We'll move it if there's a more suitable forum.

Advertisement

Birthdays