Search the forum,

Discuss Independant or big name store ? in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

G

Gazzer

Not really for a poll Doug. Just interested to know who would deal with the small guys in the game against the bigger names.
I would imagine though it would depend as in your case...who is most local.

I have a decent Indie shop here but CTD is not too far of needed as are some other big names but the prices seem to be a lot higher and they are harder to deal with. I have started to get good deals for certain items off the internet.

O

Olz

I don't go near tops, the starting offer of discount was about 2% which would increase over time. Bearing in mind a Ctd trade account I have is much higher and topps were trying to get me to switch I questioned why I would take the hits for a few months and declined. Tile giant is very competitive IMO but not close enough to make it worth while.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

John Benton

TF
Arms
Leeds
I have a really good relationship with the indie that I use, although it's not the one I get most discount from. The directors are top blokes and the staff are very knowlegable. I get quite a lot of work through them as they only recommend 2 of us in the shop for fixing. By the same token I send my customers there to choose their tiles and most buy from them. On the other hand I also use a large Spanish quality outlet and they give me very good discounts but they seem to have a high turnover of staff and its difficult to build a relationship with them. So both work for me but in different ways.

Andy Allen

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Gloucester
within a 10 mile radious i have........tileflare, tile giant, collinsons, topps, tile choice, candy, tile sence, trade tiler...

the 2 independants are tile sence and trade tiler, they have there own fixers, so pass no work on, and there trade discount are pointless, as are topps, tile choice and candy, tile giant has just opened so haven't been in yet, so i mainly use tileflare and collinsons, i get good trade prices, they pass on work, staff know what there on about and have been there for years..

Somerset
I have always favoured Tileflair - not really one of the "big" retailers, but they do have 8 stores in the south of England. Like Andy Allen, I find the independants generally have their own fixers, and wont give you a decent trade discount.

I am not a fan of Topps - but the difference in their trade prices between stores is astonishing - I still find myself getting robbed if I buy from Frome, yet I get extremely competitive (and often price matched) deals at Hengrove in Bristol.

Tile Giant doesn't really hit the mark for me (most of my customers fail to find the tile they want there) except when I want to use Mapei products - and even then I often have to make special orders (e.g. slc's and epoxy's) that take up to a week to arrive.

J

jonnyc

i get recommended as a stone fixer by independent stone shops like Stoneage,artisans of devizes, martin moore stone , and was paris ceramics mian installer for 15 years ,but dont buy from them that much.
Instead I try and bring them clients of mine for them to sell stone to. this way we both get something out of it.
I only really buy if a big order and then buy french stone through agents and miss out the retail shops completely. so client saves some and i can make some. youve got to be looking at least 150sq mts plus to amke it work well.

P

prceramics

I don't go near tops, the starting offer of discount was about 2% which would increase over time. Bearing in mind a Ctd trade account I have is much higher and topps were trying to get me to switch I questioned why I would take the hits for a few months and declined. Tile giant is very competitive IMO but not close enough to make it worth while.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

they gave me 70% to start and said it will go down if i don't use them mutch

AliGage

TF
Arms
Subscribed
In Peterborough we have a few small outlets but we also have the advantage of having two topps tiles, CTD and porcelanosa. I generally point my customer in the direction of these, and a few of the smaller outfits that provide a better service and helpful advice. I like to help the smaller business where i can so those that make the effort with me and my customers gets my recommendation when the next customer asks me where to go for tiles.

P

Peter

We don't really get any 'national' tile shops over here as such. The only one that had a branch throughout most of the country was Tile Market, which went into administration. Their prices werent that good but they were handy to have an account with as you could pick stuff up anywhere. Tile wise, it sold bottom end Spanish stuff.

Use a local tile shop Huttons which is about 5 minutes from me, noone locally can touch their prices for materials and their tiles are mostly good quality Italian. Would rather deal with the same people day in day out so you know the exact prices of things for costing a job.

Reply to Independant or big name store ? in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

Make sure to mark a post as a solution for better transparency.

There are similar tiling threads here

• Question
Water Damaged Shower Repairs Shower tile repair – water damage – tile waterproofing Do you have shower leakage that goes downstairs leading to either your main floor or basement? Read this blog...
Replies
Views
Posting a tiling question to the forum? Post in Tilers' Talk if you are unsure which forum to post in. We'll move it if there's a more suitable forum.

Advertisement

Birthdays

You're browsing the UK Tiling Forum category on TilersForums.com, the tile advice website no matter which country you reside.