Search the forum,

Discuss I have had a bad day. in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

E

enduro

Doing a job for a builder at the moment...first bathroom was floor to ceiling white tiles, brick bond with grey grout with a glass mosaic border and shower was all glass mosaics and floor was black polished porcelain with anthracite grout...Well was just about to grout the floor this morning then the bathroom would of been completed when the client turned up and dropped a bombshell :yikes: She said she wants all the tiles below the mosaic border removed and tiled with mosaics now and wants the grey grout removed and now wants white. I manged to change her mind and keep the grey grout in the shower and use grout colorant on the the remaining white tiles. What annoyed me was she told me the design and colour of grout and has been watching me do the bathroom and it did look very nice and all the other trades on site commented on how good it looked. The builder went mad at her...She said she will pay for extra work...Im so Just bloody annoyed AAARGH RANT RANT :mad2:

H

hillhead

I finished a job today at 12 o'clock, then i drove 12 miles to next job.
46m2, feature wall with 60x30 darkish porcelain with other 3 wall in a cream 60x30 porcelain and the darker wall tile cut for a skirting around room too.Cream floor too.
Got there, key left for me, checked tiles !!!!! feature wall landscape straight up, other wall landscape only brick effect but running grout joints horizontally !!
The darker tiles were a different size from cream ones i.e 4mm !!!!
I couldn't get in touch with customer so had to just prep walls, tank shower area and strengthen floor.
I'll be rushing it tomorrow for sure.
Ditra to be used on floor too.

Ajax123

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Lincolnshire
I can't really see what's wrong with this. As long as the customer pays for the extra work why does it actually matter. She has simply changed her mind. I do this all the time when doing DIY stuff. I might spend ages choosing a colour to paint a room and then when I do it I don't like it so repaint it a different colour.

People change their minds. If she was not paying that would clearly be different.

E

enduro

I can't really see what's wrong with this. As long as the customer pays for the extra work why does it actually matter. She has simply changed her mind. I do this all the time when doing DIY stuff. I might spend ages choosing a colour to paint a room and then when I do it I don't like it so repaint it a different colour.

People change their minds. If she was not paying that would clearly be different.

Yes she is paying but it is going to take 3/4 days to remove and re-tile..I have other jobs booked in so i will have to change when i can start them. And she came to site everyday and could see work in progress so why didnt she stop me when she decided it was not what she wanted...and wait untill i was nearly finished.

Ajax123

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Lincolnshire
Ah now I see what you mean. Yes that is a bit of a pain especially when I guess moving some of the jobs could lose you work.

In term of the decision she probably didn't know or wasn't sure or whatever. It is sometimes difficult for people to confront such issues especially when they are having the work done by someone who clearly cares about what they are doing and takes pride in the workmanship. She is paying so she clearly accepts responsibility. Did she change her mind in a nice way. Forgive and forget perhaps??

A

Andy kinghorn

Dont worry about it mate,
easy to say i know,i did a complete bathroom floor to ceiling a few years ago,client chose tile etc,i was polishing off and cleaning up when she told me she hated the tile and wanted to choose another one.i got a cheque of her had it cleared rapidly.told her to get her builder to demolish it,reline bathroom then we will begin again.

A WEE BIT OF ADVICE HERE!!!!!

When i quote jobs i always put ( TILES AND GROUT COLOURS CHOSEN AND APPROVED BY CLIENT)

they then have to sign and date the quote.Still a pain the *** when you got to undo your own work but not worth a heart attack stressing about it,trust me , been there and done that.

Cheers. Andy

R

Rob Z

Enduro, at least you're going to get bad to tear it out and redo it.

One of my buddies here is currently in a jam because the customer hates the installation he did and wants him to redo everything on his dime. She says his workmanship is fine, she just "hates the tile". She chose it, along with the decorator. She doesn't have a leg to stand on, but in the meantime my friend is in a jam because the builder is raising hell with him and the homeowner is screaming and is just plain nuts. She has enough money to bleed everyone dry if she decides to fight about it long enough.

When he said "how was I supposed to know you wouldn't like the tile that you chose and bought, once I had it installed?", she said "You're the professional---you should have known what this would look like". :mad2:

You can't fix crazy, nor can you fix pure-nutso clients.:prrr:

Reply to I have had a bad day. in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

Make sure to mark a post as a solution for better transparency.
Posting a tiling question to the forum? Post in Tilers' Talk if you are unsure which forum to post in. We'll move it if there's a more suitable forum.

Advertisement

Birthdays

You're browsing the UK Tiling Forum category on TilersForums.com, the tile advice website no matter which country you reside.