Search the forum,

Discuss HELP Hairline cracks in grout in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

Well I have a serious problem that ive never experienced on any of my other tiling jobs. Tiled a bathroom floor with flexible SPF and flexible Grout onto 12mm ply screwed to death over chipboard done by builder but have found that after grouting that in a couple of areas ther is small hairline cracks appeared. Ive done nothing different from what I normally do so am in real need of advice.
The grout mix was correct and i did not over wet the mixture and cant see how there could be a movement problem...

Please help as in racking my brains with how to cure this issue.:thumbsdown:

Thanks again all.

Dave

I mixed it to a creamy constancy but wouldn't say it was too wet. Added slightly more water than the instructions but it does say approx depending on colour. Never had an issue before. But you sound like you have more experience with this stuff than me so am open to any advice. Oh and ceramic tiles.
My answer any help? Trying to give as much info as poss.

Last edited:
D

DHTiling

I mixed it to a creamy constancy but wouldn't say it was too wet. Added slightly more water than the instructions but it does say approx depending on colour. Never had an issue before. But you sound like you have more experience with this stuff than me so am open to any advice. Oh and ceramic tiles.
My answer any help? Trying to give as much info as poss.

where does it say that..?.. same water ratio for all colours.

J

jamie B

only time I've experienced any probs with ultracolour was once grouting a floor whilst the heating was being tested, being a small room, it went off like a rocket and gave some 'blooming' to the tile..that night the floor got walked on and hairlines appeared at the tile edge..almost like the tile biscuit acted as a radiator (they were hot to touch around the rad/towel rail) and baked the grout dry too quick. As advised above I'd rake (which will be tough!) and re-grout affected area as a start...and close off the floor over night!..:thumbsup:best of luck!

Im sure it said "approx depending on colour" on the mixing instructions but i may be wrong. Ill rake effected are and re grout taping off room so no one walks on it think ill also make sure the heatings off because it too is a very small room and gets warm quick (4m2 and has 2 yes 2 Rads!!) and sounds like maybe because of either the wrong consistency or the speed it dryed that its not gone off correctly because the lines are along the tile edges where the grout and tile meet. (or thats what im hoping anyway).

OR

Its a movement issue
:yikes:

Last edited:

Reply to HELP Hairline cracks in grout in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

Posting a tiling question to the forum? Post in Tilers' Talk if you are unsure which forum to post in. We'll move it if there's a more suitable forum.

Advertisement

Birthdays

You're browsing the UK Tiling Forum category on TilersForums.com, the tile advice website no matter which country you reside.